Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in shock. I just discovered where all the oil pressure and leakage is coming from in my engine. It defies belief, so I am posting this with pix...

See those 2 metal pipes with rubber pipes dissapearing off to the right behind my engine? They shouldn't be there, right? And they certainly shouldn't be full of oil, so we trace the pipes - where are they taking my engine oil?

...To the front of the van! Very sensible...how much oil does it take to fill that much piping?
While it is there, a lovely innovative heater design is found (I had always wondered what the hell was going on with that thing...

On the left you'll see an MG oil matrix, strapped to a ford air blower of some description. A makeshift heater....using engine oil...badly.

This thing connects to the engine via a rubber hose for crying out loud?! What was he thinking? Perhaps the same thing as he was thinking when he drilled into the carb lead pipe...or took something off said pipe, who knows.

As an extra bonus, another heat related device has been slung under the front. Some kind of air-con. I'm not sure yet how it works, or if it works, but I'm sure I will have very little fun working it out...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
And I thought the xmas card used to bridge the filler along my rear wheel inner wing was dodgy. But then it was only 21cm long! :incheek:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'll never get over finding that the fuel tank to carb pipe on my estelle had been replaced with a length of rubber hose running through the gearbox inspection hatch, under the rear seat and dropped through the fuel guage sender mounting point.... sealed incredibly effectively with a beermat with a slot cut in it and a wad of paper towels and expanding foam. Lovely. What's worse is that the old pipe was still there - just cut in half and left flapping round under the car, pouring petrol everywhere round corners...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok dubfettler you win this time, but i also had to seal a hole in the carb pipe on this one too. the old guy that used to own this was a mechanic...apparently an adventurous one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts