Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an update to my previous posts about the council damaging my van with paint having painted the lamppost it was under, i finally got the contractors to visit the van today. I thought they were just gonna inspect the car and then we'd talk about having the paint removed. Imagine my suprise when the contractor began to prepare to remove the paint himself. I stopped him and said i'd need to speak to my insurance company and he was very put out that i didn't trust his skills. Anyhow having spoken to my insurance company they have told me i'm perfectly entitled to not let just anyone do work to my van as they have rightly pointed out that they may actually cause more damage.
Does anyone have any advice ? or do you know where the law stands on exactly who is qualified to remove the paint and whether i have the right to insist it is done by a professional from the auto industry.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
It depends on exactly what you want to get out of the council? If you're hoping for a full respray you could be waiting a long time unless they caused significant damage to your current paint work.

I would have let the guy do the work. If it worked your van would be in the same condition as it was before the fu** up. if it the contractor ruined the paint then you'd be in line for a new paint job

How exactly was the contractor going to remove the paint?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was gonna use white spirits. I didn't want to trust my car into the hands of someone not qualified of perhaps even authorized to carry out this kind of work.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
David Ward said:
He was gonna use white spirits. I didn't want to trust my car into the hands of someone not qualified of perhaps even authorized to carry out this kind of work.
:lol:

Chancers.

Have you gone to a local car body shop for a quotation to repair the damage caused?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep. Submitted the quote to the council but since they are refusing to accept liability i've got it back now. I may have to persue this through my insurance company. Guess i'll write to the contractors and include the pics and the quote and my reasons for not letting them try to remove the paint.

·
Registered
693 Posts
David Ward said:
Let him try a small patch he will there all day trying to remove the paint the original paint will still need a full buff up afterwards

White sprit should not react with car paint but it will with some of the cheep banger paint that was about a few years a go

I think it went under the name of steel [It could not be flatted and buffed for months after it was painted]

My body shop many years ago had to change the bt vans from buzby yellow to battle ship grey and this was the type of paint they gave us to use

If you let him have a go and then he will be able report back saying its to hard to get off so you will have the answer you need to take things to the next stage or you will have your van back to its original condition

1 - 6 of 6 Posts