Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the missis are considering moving over that way back to our roots if you like. Few questions though.

1, Does it flood over there like it does here? I know the east coast has a lot of rain.

2, Do you really not have to pay Council Tax.

3, What are your petrol and fuel prices like at the minute?

Think thats it, ta in advance.:D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yeah what Justin said :D

Some places flood but topographically speaking Ireland is shaped like a saucer with all the lower lying areas in the midlands and generally speaking thats where most of the bad flooding occurs (when theres floods at all), and thats where all the bogs are.

I paid €1.19 per litre for petrol this morning which is about 88p

What's Council tax? ;)

·
VZ Staff
24,104 Posts
I lived in the north until about two years ago and now live in the south. Not too much in the way of flooding apart from a few fields now and again. There's no council tax in the north or the south. You have to pay rates in the north but not the south but in saying that you have to pay to get your bins emptied in the south! I drive a company car and they supply the fuel so I haven't looked at fuel prices in almost ten years...:eek:

Greg

·
Banned
4,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks u lot.

Just getting a bit sick of the high prices of things over here, also like the fact that you lot actually talk to each other and know its not all about work.

If anyone can help with this as well.???

Right basically my mrs mum and dad...and my mums family came over in the 60's because of the lack of work in irleand. My wifes mum had three kids and one is special needs..also over here in the late 70's she lost her husband, my wifes dad so ended up over here with no husband, 1 with special needs and struggled.

But, she raised them well and is now 74. Ideally she would like to return home to Dublin, she would have done years ago if her husband didnt die. But now because of the high houses prices she cant afford to go home.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of housing list over there to get on bearing in mind shes elderly and still looks after her daughter with special needs who is now 45.

For what its worth, Thanks.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Move over here my friend you'll have a blast. We need more guys in our limited vw scene , the more the merryer (sp). As for floods generally its not to bad unless you are an unlucky sod like me who buys a new house in 2003 which some daft builder built on a flood plain . Five years on its nearly sorted though , thank god as we are really tiring of living in a mobile home and still having to pay £700 a month for a house we cant live in .. RANT OVER sorry bout that . :incheek:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Thanks u lot.

Just getting a bit sick of the high prices of things over here, also like the fact that you lot actually talk to each other and know its not all about work.

If anyone can help with this as well.???

Right basically my mrs mum and dad...and my mums family came over in the 60's because of the lack of work in irleand. My wifes mum had three kids and one is special needs..also over here in the late 70's she lost her husband, my wifes dad so ended up over here with no husband, 1 with special needs and struggled.

But, she raised them well and is now 74. Ideally she would like to return home to Dublin, she would have done years ago if her husband didnt die. But now because of the high houses prices she cant afford to go home.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of housing list over there to get on bearing in mind shes elderly and still looks after her daughter with special needs who is now 45.

For what its worth, Thanks.
Its unfortunate that its Dublin that she wants to return to because house prices here are silly. But they have been falling lately and are forecast to fall further this year as the house market is pretty dead at the moment. I've had a house on the market for over a year and have dropped the price by €20k and still no takers :(

There is a programme in place here aimed specifically at people in your mother in law's situation i.e. emigrants returning home to retire. Its called the Safe-Home Programme Ireland and assists older Irish born emigrants return home. All the Local Authorities have housing lists also, but they're generally very long and perhaps may not be best suited to your family's needs.

You should also have a look at the Citizen's Information Office website which has sections on retiring to Ireland and a huge amount more information besides.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm in Athlone at the moment (the middle of the saucer that kobat79 was talking about :)). The tax take by the government seems to be about the same but the Health Service (NHS) has a terrible reputation and a lot of people seem to have private health insurance so you might need to factor that in with you mam being elderly.

Petrol is cheaper but I seem to burn a heck of a lot more of it since the population is more spread out and there is fuck all public transport worth talking about (outside Dublin. Inside Dublin it is better but still not as good as London and Glasgow, where i lived in the UK). Cars, road tax and insurance are a lot more here.

There's not much Dub scene but it is easy to get parts shipped in from the UK. I have never had any problems getting parts from Machine 7. There are 2 GSFs in Dublin but they don't have much aircooled stock and won't post out larger bits and bodypanels so I get them sent over from the usual suspects.

·
Registered
30,761 Posts
bugmonkey, the Dub scene is growing fast here - clubs are growing, events getting bigger and 5 pages in this months VolksWorld full of Irish VWs. ;)

House prices are dropping as nobody is buying - dropping to the level they should be at I reckon,
I'm from Dublin but moved to Cork 6 years ago where property prices are a lot lower...
and there's very little traffic where I am :D

·
hush yer gums!
19,928 Posts
what justin said ^^^ the scene is positively bouncing here at the moment, having been involved in it in northern ireland for the last 18 years, its the best its ever been !!

the mag coverage justin talks about plus more to come and at least three irish cars that i know about on display at the volksworld show this year ;)

friday night past there was 11 vee dubbers sat in my front room alone ;)

i think 25 or so of us lot from rule6 alone travelled to vwaction last year, there was closer to 35-40 once everyone arrived.

on the ferry there were another 20 or so lads and lasses heading across to edition38

the scene is there, you just gotta go looking and when you do find it...its really bouncing as i said ^^ trust me ;)

in reference to the original question, we pay rates oop north and unlike neil where we live aint prone to flooding luckily.

i live right up on the north coast next door to the giants causeway :)

cheers
paul :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
Move to ireland! ul love it! however, im from the north, so unable to say what the price of fuel is like...

Im actually just back, and the floods were quite bad the other day, other than that, there is usually not that much flooding up north. The fuel prices are just generally ridiculous, maybe not quite as bad as here, my local asda were seeling it the other day for 1.05p a litre.

No council tax, but its bascially included in the rates...

·
Registered
384 Posts
House prices are dropping as nobody is buying - dropping to the level they should be at I reckon,
I'm from Dublin but moved to Cork 6 years ago where property prices are a lot lower...
As soon as I put my house on the market the buying frenzy stopped and the prices started dropping :rolleyes: My timing was impeccable as usual...! Been on the market for over a year now :( Wanna buy a gaff in Blanch? :D:lol:

and there's very little traffic where I am :D
Damn your non-existent traffic! 1.5hrs to go 13miles this morning :( WANNA BUY A GAFF IN BLANCH? PLEASE!? :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts