Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25,881 Posts
well i guess so. in paint it has pigment. on a monitor i don't think it is, i think its just a pixel with no light.

its late, i should give up now.

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
sorry got it wrong, is white a colour ? , help us settle an arguement ta
Arguably yes, theoretically no. As it has no other pigmentation tarnishing it, it could in it's pure form be categorised as a colour... however, void of pigmentation it is also at the mercy of reflection, therefore acting as a mirror, a bit like saying the sea is blue, when in fact it is also at the mercy of the reflection of a blue sky...

Here's a fact - polar bears do not have white fur...

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
#clears throat#

Well, in my younger years I was a BA(Hons) art student and the concesus was that neither black, nor white were colours. True black could only possible be viewed in the absence of light, which in itself is a paradox. White is the absence of any colour, which in itself states that white is not a colour.

Black ink or dye is always a dark blue or brown. Put a mark from a black pen on a piece of kitchen towel and hang the bottom in some water. As the water soaks up the pigment in the ink it will reveal it's diluted colour.

Although, to be honest, as an adjective, I think "black" and "white" are perfectly accurate descriptions of colour.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
16,449 Posts
No. Black and white are tints.
There are arguably (very!) only three colours, red, green and blue and around 55 recognised hues in the spectrum. Combining these hues and tints gives you millions of combinations, more than enough and way more than any output device could ever handle.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
I guess you have to define what is a colour? But if we do it on the range in frequencies of light (ie electromagnetic radiation that we can detect with our eyes) black is none and white is all frequencies, and some thing like red or blue is just a specific range.

So I say yes - they are colours.

Tints, hues etc are just terms generated by pony tail art people to confuse physicists like me.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
#clears throat#

Well, in my younger years I was a BA(Hons) art student and the concesus was that neither black, nor white were colours. True black could only possible be viewed in the absence of light, which in itself is a paradox. White is the absence of any colour, which in itself states that white is not a colour.
That was what they told us in History of Art too... :lol:

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
There are arguably (very!) only three colours, red, green and blue and around 55 recognised hues in the spectrum. Combining these hues and tints gives you millions of combinations, more than enough and way more than any output device could ever handle.
Thought it was red yellow and blue (green being a mix of blue and yellow).

According to Terry Pratchet, black is the absence of any colour ,, I think, (and also quicker than the speed of light).

According to my physics teacher, white is all colours mixed together... there was a spinning thing to show this.

:D

·
Registered
78,033 Posts
if you really want to start getting into it then it all comes back to linguistics (& semiology)... sign and signified being arbitrarily linked and all that

colours don't exist in some languages... but sure as hell the object with a colour is still there to see even if that culture has no word for it

1 - 20 of 49 Posts