Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... remove the corrugated tubes (mufflers?) linking the heat exchangers to the heater channels?

Basically I'm a complete novice, but have spent a while searching forums for info regarding 'fumes in the cabin'. I'm fed up with having to take time off work to go to the garage and get things looked at so was thinking of trying to do a bit myself - if I can.

I've got a strong smell of exhaust fumes that has returned after a few weeks (it was fixed for a bit) when I lever the rear flaps open on my heat controls.

The problem seems to increase when I rev the engine and on acceleration.
...should this happen? i.e. the flow of hot air increases in tandem with increased acceleration?

...so from trawling a number of threads on the topic, I've come to the conclusion to check out for any holes underneath and in the flexible heat mufflers, and to temporarily fix the problem, detach the mufflers and take them out completely to stop any fumes coming into the car.

Can anyone suggest how I do this and is it safe.

Thanks
Dom

·
Superhero
5,653 Posts
airflow will increase with higher engine speed as the fan is on the back of the dynamo.

no problem removing the pipes, but you'll have no heat. Have a look, can't remember if its a hose clip of some kind, but they are fairly easy to remove.

fumes from the heating is likely to be oily heat exchangers. If its actually exhaust fumes then you need to get the exhaust fixed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Rich.
I do think its exhaust fumes as I don't feel too hot after driving more than 10 minutes. But at the mo I just need a temporary stop gap for a month or so.

Do you remove the heat mufflers from underneath the rear wheel arch?

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Dom74 said:
I've got a strong smell of exhaust fumes that has returned after a few weeks (it was fixed for a bit) when I lever the rear flaps open on my heat controls.
Sounds like one or both of the heat exchangers have rusted through the exhaust pipe

I have drawn a very crude pic to try and illustrate the point (see attached below) Exhaust in red, fresh air in blue

Basically if the exhaust pipe that runs through the middle of the heat exchanger (which heats the air from the fan) has a hole in it then the exhaust will escape and get blown inside of the car.

If this is the problem then you need to find out which one this is, and either disconnect it, or replace it, because remember on long drives you will be slowly poisoning yourself with carbon monoxide!!

A new one will cost roughly £45 each from GSF.

Hope this helps :hangloose

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maxxer, thanks so much for coming down to my wavelength! I needed that diagram to understand the overall mechanics.

In order to try and come to a conclusion to this, is the best form of diagnosis to literally get under the rear of the car and follow the exhaust and look for a hole?

Is it something I can find or will it take and experienced eye and/or specific tools to notice the problem.

Apologies for being so dense.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Dom74 said:
Maxxer, thanks so much for coming down to my wavelength! I needed that diagram to understand the overall mechanics.

In order to try and come to a conclusion to this, is the best form of diagnosis to literally get under the rear of the car and follow the exhaust and look for a hole?

Is it something I can find or will it take and experienced eye and/or specific tools to notice the problem.

Apologies for being so dense.
Your alrite mate, you only learn by either doing or someone passing on knowledge.

I don't know how easy it would be to find out if there is a hole, because the exhaust pipe goes through the centre of the heat exchanger, therefore being blocked of by sight as it is encased in it. Have a look underneath with a torch, as you might find it is glaringly obvious which one it is, if not then try running the engine and smell the outlet underneath the rear seat to see if you can smell the fumes, sounds like a silly suggestion, but thats what i would do!! other than that, its where my knowledge ends i'm afraid, somebody else might be able to enlighten you, as they may have come across this before, it is quite a common problem from my understanding!!

Good luck matey :) :hangloose

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah, you'll struggle to see the hole as the pipe goes through the heat exchanger. If you have a look underneath and there's holes through the heat exchanger, there's a fairly good chance that that one is leaking - water gets thrown in by the wheels and rots the insides too...

Unless one of them looks particularly new, i would be tempted to replace both anyway, £90 odd is worth spending when the alternative is poisoning yourself while you drive. Exhaust fumes make you more likely to pass out while you drive too.... :eek:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dom

As both MadMaxer and Dubfettler have said, you are unlikely to tell which Heat Exchanger is holed, because it will be internal.

I suggest you disconnect the control cables at the heat-exchanger one at a time, trying it first with say just the left one connected, then just the right one. The other should be pulled closed by a spring when disconnected.

That should show you which one is holed, and which, if either, is OK.

Then leave the control cable for the holed one disconnected AND remove the corrugated tube - don't rely just on the control flap to keep the exhaust fumes out of the car!

It's only a temporary fix though, just to keep you warm and safe for a while, because you have, from the sound of it, effectively got a hole in the exhaust system and the faulty exchanger needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks very much for all your advice. Much appreciated, I'm gonna have a look underneath on Saturday mornin' and see whats goin on.

...if I'm still alive that is!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
al_kaholik said:
dude, buy a manual, and welcome to the forum :)

Heat in winter is needed! Take a coat and hat in the car ;)

Al
Dom i didn't realise that you were new to the forum!! Welcome, i remember when i first got my bug, my girlfriend and i used to drive to Portsmouth on a regular basis, 3hr drive in the bug, she used to take a coat, hat, scarf, gloves, thick coat, hot water bottle and a quilt!! to keep her warm!! me i had a hat and thick socks!! the worst bit was the frozen knee from the cold air pissing through the fuse box!!

Little trick i found was to duct tape all the small gaps i could!! getting it off in the spring was a bugger tho!! lol

Enjoy the forum mate!! glad we were of help!!

:) :hangloose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts