Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm just deliberating over my tyre choice for my 64 split bus..I have 2 x og 4.5 fuchs that are designed to run a tubed tyre, i want to achieve slammed look, thus using 145/65/15 smart tyres. Want to use them without tubes, and just with a fat valve......is this safe???

Can anyone enlighten me or advise ..thanks

·
Banned
4,064 Posts
no fookin way should this be done, yes there are peeps out there doing it but hey (not another narrowed beam thread ) early deep dish 4.5 5.5 and 6" fuchs do not have a safty bead on the inner , for tubes only . and yes i own 4.5,s 5.5 and early 6",s so i have experiance with the rims.

·
Registered
15,027 Posts
when i got my 61 with 5.5 fuch it was running low pro 185/55 on the front without tubes, tyres were flat every 2 days and was a nightmare, never drove it far due to this before putting it into storage for the resto.

run without tubes at your peril (i wont!!)

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,859 Posts
Iain_M said:
(thread hijack)

What about the other way around, tubeless running tubes, Bad idea or OK?
You can get inner tubes designed specially for tubeless tyres. I used to run them on my Zwitter until I changed to Raders and went tubeless.

I wouldn't run normal tubes in tubeless tyres 'cos the tubes naturally rub against the tyres during normal use and a blowout is instant deflation instead of gradual. Tubeless tyre inner tubes are a thicker rubber and are designed to withstand this.

With regards the OG 4.5 Fuchs, I'd run tubes in this instance as not only do the wheels not have a safety bead, the wheels also aren't designed to support the weight of the bus, so I imagine there will be more tyre roll on the wheel lips during cornering, increasing the chances of the air escaping if you ran tubeless tyres.

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
Are the Flat4 4.5" repros made for tubeless use?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It's questionable wether a tyre made for a smart car is man enough for a type 2, before you even get to the "to tube or not to tube" debate. I've never seen a tube made to fit a 65 profile 145 tyre anyway, so would presume people doing it have plain 145 tubes in them, which again isn't right.

But there again if this sort of thing is really that dangerous perhaps it would be part of the mot test, but it isn't in class 4 (cars/light vans).

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
dragster172 said:
Are the Flat4 4.5" repros made for tubeless use?
Think so yes.

I run FLAT 4 fuchs 4.5 on the front of my bus with smart car tyres/no tubes and have done for two months now with no deflation.

Weather its safe to is another story and another thread no dought.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have seen and dicussed this with a few friendly tyre fitters, who have all told me that the nearest size tube you can get is a 145 standard 85 profile tube......they have all said it would be crazy to run over sized tubes in a low prof ie 65 prof tyre, as it gathers within the tyre, and blows out....boo hiss what can i do ...sell the 4.5s me thinks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts