Volkszone Forum banner

Is Jack right with veils opinion?

3K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  metric_thumbs 
#1 ·
Cabinet Minister Jack Straw has said he would prefer Muslim women not to wear veils at all.
The Commons leader said he did not want to be "prescriptive" but he believed that covering people's faces could make community relations more difficult.

I'm going with Jack on this one, I won't bore you with my many reasons, but in short cutting away the religious angle from the whole idea, its just easier to communicate with people face to face.
Isn't that a natural way to communicate?

#5 ·
Brian Burrows said:
AFAIK he's not forcing anybody to remove their 'veils' . . . just a polite request . . .

Seems reasonable to me :confused:

You'd expect someone in a 'hoodie' to remove it . . .
Yeah - it was only a request - BUT you can't compare to a hoodie - hoodies aren't worn for religious reasons.

#6 ·
Brian Burrows said:
AFAIK he's not forcing anybody to remove their 'veils' . . . just a polite request . . .

Seems reasonable to me :confused:

You'd expect someone in a 'hoodie' to remove it . . .
Hoodie, shades, helmet, Scream mask!... :D

His actual wording is very reasonable but, as usual, the media have picked up on it and blown it out of all proportion.

He said he prefers a face to face conversation and believes that it's easier if both faces are uncovered - nothing too unreasonable about that.

Army recruiting adverts were making the same point not so long ago.

#8 ·
AFAIK Its not actually a religious thing, its a fad that developed in Saudi Arabia and has spread throughout the muslim world, probably all linked to the subserviant female ideal.

This whole furore reminds me of the TV ad the Army used to run, with the guy argueing with the natives until he removes his sunglasses, then they calm down.

Sadly, IMO, certain muslims will find fault with anything 'western' or non muslim, and will actively ensure that they do not integrate. :(

#9 ·
It's a touchy one.

I think he should have done some research into why they're worn before he made such a comment to be honest.

It's really easy for us to bang on about how they should adjust to fit in with US, but how many of US understand their religion and the reasons they do things like wear the veils?

I'm fortunate, I've studied and understand Islam (not that I believe or follow any religion), so I can make comments like that, but a lot of people are scared to ask, and it's that fear that causes the problem.

To us it's a veil, to them it's a way of hiding the womans face to prevent male judgement based on physical appearance.

Asking someone to remove that is a little more than asking someone to remove a veil!

#11 ·
marvin said:
AFAIK Its not actually a religious thing, its a fad that developed in Saudi Arabia and has spread throughout the muslim world, probably all linked to the subserviant female ideal.
It's a religious thing, it's to do with not judging women on physical appearance and loving the person on the inside.

Respect for women is a massive part of Islam

#15 ·
Why is this an issue, at all?

Jack Straw is perfectly within his rights to ask the small minority of Muslim women who do wear a full veil to not do so when they are visiting him. But those women are also perfectly within their rights to say no, as it is their freedom to wear whatever they please.

All this media hysteria about 'pandering to minorities' is the real bollocks about the story. All people in this country are free to wear whatever the fuck they want. That isn't pandering to minorities.

So once again, its a non-issue, whipped up by the media for no reason whatsoever. And the racist, the thick, and the sensitive have all fallen for it. AGAIN.

p.s. Commisioner Gordon never once asked Batman and Robin to remove their masks. ;)

#16 ·
Ugly Bloke said:

Jack Straw is perfectly within his rights to ask the small minority of Muslim women who do wear a full veil to not do so when they are visiting him. But those women are also perfectly within their rights to say no, as it is their freedom to wear whatever they please.

All this media hysteria about 'pandering to minorities' is the real bollocks about the story. All people in this country are free to wear whatever the fuck they want. That isn't pandering to minorities.

So once again, its a non-issue, whipped up by the media for no reason whatsoever. And the racist, the thick, and the sensitive have all fallen for it. AGAIN.

p.s. Commisioner Gordon never once asked Batman and Robin to remove their masks. ;)
:lol:

#17 ·
Ugly Bloke said:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ wot u said :)

#19 ·
Just had a ***, so more time to think on this....

Jack Straw is right to stand up to it, but, and this is my opinion oviously ;), but standing up on his own will do nothing but give those muslims who act as propaganda merchants, more to complain about.

In our once proud nation, god this sounds like BNP drivel, If I walk into a bank with a veil across my face, the shutters come down, I get nicked. If a muslim woman walks into a bank with a veil across her face no-one blinks. Is there any real difference between her and I other than the colour of our skin and our dress?

Socially we all have to adapt and conform (within reason) to integrate and therefore live happilly as a ****** people, some people(s) do not want this to happen.

#20 ·
marvin said:
In our once proud nation, god this sounds like BNP drivel, If I walk into a bank with a veil across my face, the shutters come down, I get nicked. If a muslim woman walks into a bank with a veil across her face no-one blinks. Is there any real difference between her and I other than the colour of our skin and our dress?.
"god this sounds like BNP drivel"

#24 ·
Jean Berk said:
I think their religious beliefs shouldn't be 'cut away' as you put it. It's not an 'angle', it should be respected and left well alone. I think he's out of line.
go read up on the belief

it is optional, which is why about 90% of muslims are wonder what all the fuss is about.

Plus why have all these women who he has asked, yes asked!!! why aren't they complaining, thats right because they are in a catholic country and respect they way we do things here!

before you PC people jump on me I don't believe in any religion! just common sense

You go to a muslim country you respect there belief, my friend worked in Dubai and she got alot of grief for not believing she should cover her body, from head to toe!

in a roman catholic country, respect roman catholics! simple i do:crazy:

#25 ·
lostcornishman said:
go read up on the belief

it is optional, which is why about 90% of muslims are wonder what all the fuss is about.

Plus why have all these women who he has asked, yes asked!!! why aren't they complaining, thats right because they are in a catholic country and respect they way we do things here!

before you PC people jump on me I don't believe in any religion! just common sense

You go to a muslim country you respect there belief, my friend worked in Dubai and she got alot of grief for not believing she should cover her body, from head to toe!

Are you in France or Italy?

#26 ·
lostcornishman said:
go read up on the belief

A Roman Catholic country :eek: bollox!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.