Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, not meaning to hi-jack previous post about artwork, but I'm trying to think of ways of making some extra cash, and a friend said I could produce some paintings and try to sell them.

I AM NOT trying to drum up trade here as I've only produced a few paintings on canvas for my own home, but does anyone think I could make a few quid by selling stuff like this at car boots ( :crazy: ) etc? Maybe car boots wouldn't be a good idea - any ideas where else I could sell them?

Please don't be too rude about them, and I'm not really fishing for compliments, but don't want to get my paints out if nobody would really like them.

Advice greatly appreciated - even if it's only to say "don't waste your time" :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
There's deffo a market for them. Try small boutiques and furniture stores, also might be worth asking one or two cafe's if you could put your stuff on their walls which you could put your name on.
Ripe on Park Row might take a couple for you, they always have stuff from local artists on the walls for sale..
And I know you weren't fishing for compliments, but they're good.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
They're really nice! :) Although, and please don't take this the wrong way, I can imagine people saying "that's nice, but I could do that myself". That's only because my hubby always says that when I look at paintings.

I don't know about boot sales, I'm never up early enough to go to them :lol: What about trying a local gallery, or even a small independent home store? The kind that sell individual goods you don't see in chain stores. Somebody may do a sale or return basis?

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
alfietinker said:
"that's nice, but I could do that myself". That's only because my hubby always says that when I look at paintings.
I think he's just trying to avoid buying you stuff ;) . I bet he never does do it himself though does he?

While technically i'm sure I could paint some stright lines, I don't have the eye or the aesthetic sense to do it in colours that work, or in ways that look that good. It'd look like a zebra crossing gone wrong if i did it.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies guys and the advice. They're oil on canvas so whilst IKEA do prints on canvas, they are mass produced of course.

As I said, just testing the water, so thanks again :hangloose

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Beena said:
I think he's just trying to avoid buying you stuff ;) . I bet he never does do it himself though does he?
Now that is true! :lol: He's be promising me certain paintings for years! :lol:

He is actually a really good artist, he just either never gets round to it, or when he does he throws them away becuase he thinks they're no good. And the only ones on display so far are the ones I don't like. (not that I'd tell him of course) ;)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
invalidusername said:
Cheers for the replies guys and the advice. They're oil on canvas so whilst IKEA do prints on canvas, they are mass produced of course.

As I said, just testing the water, so thanks again :hangloose
In a perverse way, i'd see the IKEA comparison as a positive. Ikea only do them because people like it in their homes. And think wehat you will of them, they do okay business

·
Registered
713 Posts
There's definitely a market for savoury beans, especially the southern kind. On my mission through the wild overgrowth of on-land sea plants earlier this week, I found several savoury beans which in hindsight, I should've picked up and put into my left pocket. If I had done this, I'd be that much closer to being the millionaire I long to be. They were so shiney too! Almost mirror like, so attractive. The most attractive beans I have ever come across to tell the truth. Ever since I have questioned why I didn't bend down to pick those valuable savoury beans from off the ground.

They're probably still there, waiting to be found by some lucky land man. I'd take on the mission to go and recover them, but, but I say, I never go where I've already been. Shame.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
3,840 Posts
Trying to find somewhere to sell some of the stuff I do. I did a flyer and posted them through all the bars and cafes in my town. Not a whisper.

Dont do a boot fair. They are WAY too good for that market. Craft fairs would be a better bet.

I tried ebay, but too much stuff on there already. I'm always too embarassed to price my work also.

Going to try and get the nerve up to take mine to a couple of galleries in town this weekend.

Good luck.

(I like em by the way)

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for the comments guys 'n' gals.

Pyro said:
Is that a Rothko?
I bloody well hope not! And that's not anything against Rothko, he was mighty talented, if a little dark for me - what I mean is, I hope I haven't done an 'homage'. I guess it does look like that kind of thing. Maybe I'll do a black and red one next :incheek:

Sam Jelfs said:
any idea what sort of price you would be asking for them?
Hey, I haven't got a clue, but that's a really good question. I've seen other art work and when I've seen what people are charging, I go :eek: I guess it depends on the market.

and..

Beena said:
There's deffo a market for them. Try small boutiques and furniture stores, also might be worth asking one or two cafe's if you could put your stuff on their walls which you could put your name on.
Ripe on Park Row might take a couple for you, they always have stuff from local artists on the walls for sale..
And I know you weren't fishing for compliments, but they're good.
Beena - cheers for the advice.

coops said:
Trying to find somewhere to sell some of the stuff I do. I did a flyer and posted them through all the bars and cafes in my town. Not a whisper.

Dont do a boot fair. They are WAY too good for that market. Craft fairs would be a better bet.

I tried ebay, but too much stuff on there already. I'm always too embarassed to price my work also.

Going to try and get the nerve up to take mine to a couple of galleries in town this weekend.

Good luck.

(I like em by the way)
Cheers, and good luck to you too matey -

I'm somewhat encouraged - but feel awkward selling stuff. I'm sure if I do stuff and people start buying, I'll soon get over that ;)

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
invalidusername said:
Sorry, not meaning to hi-jack previous post about artwork, but I'm trying to think of ways of making some extra cash, and a friend said I could produce some paintings and try to sell them.

I AM NOT trying to drum up trade here as I've only produced a few paintings on canvas for my own home, but does anyone think I could make a few quid by selling stuff like this at car boots ( :crazy: ) etc? Maybe car boots wouldn't be a good idea - any ideas where else I could sell them?

Please don't be too rude about them, and I'm not really fishing for compliments, but don't want to get my paints out if nobody would really like them.

Advice greatly appreciated - even if it's only to say "don't waste your time" :crazy: :crazy:

Dude,

Live your dream.

Ignoreing the 'skill' of the paintings (I know f'all about f'all) get yourself down to a picture shop. See how much Ltd ed. prints are going for in relation of size. Then try and find a trendy wine bar and paint a few pictures using their colour scheme.

Phone the manager or owner and ask for a meeting. Take along a few pictures and ask if you can display them on the walls. You might find that the personal approach helps get your foot in the door.

People will see you pictures but not necessarily buy them. Put if people are seeing them, then you've got more chance.

In summary.

1, Go to picture shop and get price comparisons.
2, Arrange meeting with shop manager.
3, Take your pictures with 'suggestive' pricing to shop manager.
4, Do the same with trendy wine bar, but offer them for free as long as you can have a card in the corner with your details on.
5, There might be a local art group who hold 'shows' - try and get in on that.

Don't give up if people put you down.

Wiltsteve

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, cheers for that matey. Excellent advice and I particularly like the one about doing some stuff to go with a colour scheme/mood of a bar, etc. Be a good opportunity to do something to order.

I'm going to print this off and stick it on my fridge door - then get some more materials on the weekend.

Brill! Cheers :)

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
invalidusername said:
Hey, cheers for that matey. Excellent advice and I particularly like the one about doing some stuff to go with a colour scheme/mood of a bar, etc. Be a good opportunity to do something to order.

I'm going to print this off and stick it on my fridge door - then get some more materials on the weekend.

Brill! Cheers :)
Dude,

It may sound stupid but make sure YOU have confidence in your work. It is great and it does look good. Other people might not like it but you think it is great.

Whatever you do do not undervalue your work.

Workout how much you get paid per hour to do your 9-5 job and time yourself when you are working on a painting. Work out what it would cost to do the painting during 'work' time.

Original artwork is just that. Unique and special. Make other people realise this too.

:)

Wiltsteve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts