Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

whoops, obviously no power management in these kiosk things :)

apologies for nerdism, but this sort of thing makes me laugh :)

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Its actually part of my take over plan, gradually we disrupt the ATM's then the banks and when you are all desperate for money we give it all back for votes...Muhahahahahaha *cough choke splutter.. :coffeecup

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RaggedyRacing said:

'But Aquaman, you cannot possibly marry worm girl... your lifestyles are incompatible'

:incheek:
at least get the quote right :D

Comic Book Guy said:
But Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills,
you're from two different worlds.
Oh, I've wasted my life.

:D

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
That's cool, things like that always amuse me too :D

What does NOT amuse me, however, is that it takes SEVEN MINUTES to go from clicking "Shut Down" to "It is now safe to turn off your computer" on this PC. Windows XP Pro. Tried everything I can think of... It is rather annoying when you're in the middle of loads of things and some software update you do demands a restart :lol:

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DarrenW said:
That's cool, things like that always amuse me too :D

What does NOT amuse me, however, is that it takes SEVEN MINUTES to go from clicking "Shut Down" to "It is now safe to turn off your computer" on this PC. Windows XP Pro. Tried everything I can think of... It is rather annoying when you're in the middle of loads of things and some software update you do demands a restart :lol:
get the proper drivers for your motherboard, I assume it was made in the last ten years ? You should never see the 'safe to shut down screen' if the power management drivers are installed properly.

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
spiny said:
get the proper drivers for your motherboard, I assume it was made in the last ten years ? You should never see the 'safe to shut down screen' if the power management drivers are installed properly.
So it should power itself down after? Hmm... Yeah it's a "Tiny" 1GHz Athlon PC, pretty old now. That wouldn't speed things up though I guess.

OK... Is there a way I can find out what Motherboard it has without opening it up?

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
DarrenW said:
So it should power itself down after? Hmm... Yeah it's a "Tiny" 1GHz Athlon PC, pretty old now. That wouldn't speed things up though I guess.

OK... Is there a way I can find out what Motherboard it has without opening it up?
Whats the model of the PC?

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
I thought 99.9% of pc`s with ATX power supplies could turn themselves off...

Do seem to remember reading something around the time Win 2k came out about it needing proper drivers for power management though.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
yellow_spider said:
I thought 99.9% of pc`s with ATX power supplies could turn themselves off...

Do seem to remember reading something around the time Win 2k came out about it needing proper drivers for power management though.
I think a lot of it's universal and standard, but it's still software managment and there's always a few things which won't adhere. My old motherboard used to be a complete bastard to get working right - demanded all kinds of weird and wonderful drivers.

My new one is fine, except that it has two ethernet ports and WindowsXP doesn't recognise either of them. And I have to download the drivers off the net....see my problem? :D I forget every time and have to try and find a compatable driver from the list to bodge a connection.

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
This thing has all kinds of weird USB problems :lol: Two ports on the front, two on the back. If I unplug a device out of the front ones, the whole machine instantly freezes - mouse, keyboard, whole thing. Only powering it off/on will get it running again. It was the same with the WinME that it came with, as the XP Pro that's on it now :lol:

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
DarrenW said:
This thing has all kinds of weird USB problems :lol: Two ports on the front, two on the back. If I unplug a device out of the front ones, the whole machine instantly freezes - mouse, keyboard, whole thing. Only powering it off/on will get it running again. It was the same with the WinME that it came with, as the XP Pro that's on it now :lol:
The USB ports are probaly the problem, sometimes XP keeps probing those prots looking for devices, try uninstalling any USB devices and trying again.

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
Pyro said:
The USB ports are probaly the problem, sometimes XP keeps probing those prots looking for devices, try uninstalling any USB devices and trying again.
Cheers, I'll give that a go! :D

You're only suggesting that so I'll be off of here for aaaaages, what with it taking 7 minutes between reboots :D :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Might be in XP (mine doesn't have the options, it's just standard) but it certainly had the "Enable APM" option in 2K. Forget if it depends on the motherboard or not.

Control Panel > Display > Screen Saver > Power

Somewhere in there should be an option for enabling Advanced Power Management (APM)...

·
Holy Calamity
67,056 Posts
Howard66 said:
Might be in XP (mine doesn't have the options, it's just standard) but it certainly had the "Enable APM" option in 2K. Forget if it depends on the motherboard or not.

Control Panel > Display > Screen Saver > Power

Somewhere in there should be an option for enabling Advanced Power Management (APM)...
Ooh, that was switched off so I've turned it on :D

One day I'll figure out why it takes so long to shut down too :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts