Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to change my speedo cable but cant get the front hub of the brake drum!! Car is 1970 Bug, its not the original drums but look pretty standard 4 lug drums to me. Tried lookin for the adjusters but cant see them - are accessed from behind the drum?? Dad wanted to start levering the hub off with a screwdriver and the start whacking with the mallet but really there must be a more humane solution?!?

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Silly question but you have undone the hub nut / clamp ?

There are two adjuster holes on the back of the drum. You will see two little "cog" type wheels inside. (Get a torch to see properly)

You can turn these to back the brake shoes off then the drum will come off really easily. :)

I dont have any pics to hand at the moment to explain it easier.

Dont forget to adjust them up afterwards. Ideal time to clean / regrease your front wheel bearings and check the brakes condition too. :)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats what I thought, they were plugged with two rubber plugs. Is it just a case of turning with a flatheaded screwdriver? Up or Down to ease the shoes??

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Wishart said:
Yeah thats what I thought, they were plugged with two rubber plugs. Is it just a case of turning with a flatheaded screwdriver? Up or Down to ease the shoes??
Thats them. Remove the rubber plugs and you will see them.

Cant remember off hand which way ( :eek: ) , its pretty obvious when you turn them though as the drum will get tighter to turn if you are going the wrong way. :)

A manual would be a great help to you for this ;)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yellow_spider said:
Thats them. Remove the rubber plugs and you will see them.

Cant remember off hand which way ( :eek: ) , its pretty obvious when you turn them though as the drum will get tighter to turn if you are going the wrong way. :)

A manual would be a great help to you for this ;)
Its in the post as we speak! :D See I was sure I was on the right track with the adjusters, but no.....Dad was standing over me with monster screw driver and stone mason's mallet sayin it'll not work!! And to think it was cos of him I got into VW's!!! :crazy: :D Cheers for the help...again!

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
If all you're trying to do is replace the speedo cable, you don't need to touch the brake adjusters.

Remove the LHS front hubcap, remove the circlip holding the end of the speedo cable in the hub dust cover, then pull out the speedo cable from behind.

When you install the new one, you may need to rotate the cable so the square peg lines up OK to go through the square hole in the dust cover.

Sometimes the square hole in the dust cap wears into a round hole causing speedo faults. If this has happened you'll need to remove the dust cap and replace it with a new one, unless you're very paitient and have the right tools to re-make the square hole.

You'll still need to know how to adjust your brakes when it comes to service time, but for now you can leave them alone for the purposes of fixing the speedo.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr.Whippy said:
If all you're trying to do is replace the speedo cable, you don't need to touch the brake adjusters.

Remove the LHS front hubcap, remove the circlip holding the end of the speedo cable in the hub dust cover, then pull out the speedo cable from behind.

When you install the new one, you may need to rotate the cable so the square peg lines up OK to go through the square hole in the dust cover.

Sometimes the square hole in the dust cap wears into a round hole causing speedo faults. If this has happened you'll need to remove the dust cap and replace it with a new one, unless you're very paitient and have the right tools to re-make the square hole.

You'll still need to know how to adjust your brakes when it comes to service time, but for now you can leave them alone for the purposes of fixing the speedo.

Dave.
Its the removing of the hub thats causing me the problems. Im hoping the adjusters will allow the hub to free-up and come off. Ican worry about the state of the speedo cable after that - but many thanks for the advice on that too!!

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
The hub and the drum are one unit, they don't seperate.

You don't need to remove the drum or the hub to change the speedo cable, you're just making unnessacary work for yourself.

If you need to remove the central dust cap (which can be tight) try alternate side taps with a small hammer, failing that just twist / pull it off with large mole grips, footprints or water pump pliers.

However, if the square hole in the dust cap is OK, you don't even need to remove that, as long as you're careful lining up the new cable.

Dave.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Wishart said:
Its the removing of the hub thats causing me the problems. Im hoping the adjusters will allow the hub to free-up and come off. Ican worry about the state of the speedo cable after that - but many thanks for the advice on that too!!
Sorry - So you're removing the hub for some other problem then, not speedo related ??

If so, you'll need the big screwdriver, but if it needs the mallet to shift the adjusters, then you've either turned them the wrong way or they're seized with rust/ brake dust.

If in doubt, wait for the postman, then read the book.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, im just takin another look at it. So i got me wheel off the hub, taken the centre dust cap off and from here i can do the change?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its gettin a little confusing here so i'll start again haha. Right I need to change my speedo cable, nothing else. I was under the impression that the front face/hub of the brake drum had to be removed so I can disconnect the cable.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Nope.

If you have stock (not alloy) wheels, remove the hubcap on the front LHS wheel.

In the centre of the drum / hub (the drum and hub are one piece, please don't try to seperate them, you'll only break something) there is a steel dust cap. In the centre of the dust cap there should be a small square hole.

The end of the speedo cable has a square peg, and pokes out through the square hole in the dust cap, where a circlip on the outside stops it from dropping back through the square hole.

Sometimes the clip falls off and the cable just falls back a bit, stopping the speedo, sometimes the square hole wears to a round hole, stopping the speedo. Sometimes the inner cable in the spedo cable breaks, stopping the speedo.

These are the three most common causes for the speedo on an aircooed VW to stop reading.

Rule out the first two before you go and buy a new cable.

To replace the cable, remove the circlip, reach round the back of the wheel, grab the speedo cable and yank it out.

Replacement is a reversal of removal, as it states in all the best workshop manuals :)

Good luck - Dave.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fantastic - thats about as fool-proof as it can get, cheers mate!!

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wishart said:
Fantastic - thats about as fool-proof as it can get, cheers mate!!
Ok, so i was a little bit premature with that statement......im still a fool. Im just uploading a pic to show what stage im at - I cant see any sign of a square shaped hole or anything on this side that suggests speedo cable?! Any more ideas?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Ok, your dust cap is misssing.

In the centre of the drum you can see the end of the hollow stub axle. Then there's all the grease sitting around the wheel bearing.

You should have a domed metal cap that taps into the hole in the drum, keeping the grease in and the c**p out. The cap has the square hole, and it drives the speedo cable.

With no dust cap, you'll have no speedo drive.

Have a look at this pic - they are discs not drums but the dust cap (grease cap) is the same. The one on the right is for the LHS whel, it has the square hole.http://www.partsemporium.co.uk/images/beetle_disc_stubs_2.jpg

Dave.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I can see what you mean now. I took the dust cap off fod the picture, sorry, I didnt know that was an integral part of this operation! haha. I think you can see from the picture i posted that there is no sign on that end of the speedo cable, does that mean i should be able to pull the cable through the back of the drum/hub? I tried but its not budging. Im just away to check the dust cap for its square hole.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,498 Posts
Wishart said:
, does that mean i should be able to pull the cable through the back of the drum/hub? I tried but its not budging. Im just away to check the dust cap for its square hole.
Yes, you should be able to just pull the cable out of the back of the stub axle. Pull harder, or knock it out using a thin metal rod about 6mm dia and a hammer, if it's being stubborn. They normally just pull out fairly easily though.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All sorted - the cable had broken so I couldnt see the end of it from where the dust cap goes on. Poked it through and pulled out the back no probs - new cable installed and everybody is happy again! Thanks very much guys - all great help as ever!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts