Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been recommended this by a neighbour before I start repairing paintwork. Anyone used this at all? Or in fact where i can get it from.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
As in the rust treatment gel?
If so it's a thick pinkish gel, usually comes in small black plastic bottles. Costs around the three pounds fifty to four pounds mark.
You should be able to get it from most motor factors if not the "dreaded" Halfords.

It's an acid based gl which after scraping all the loose shite off you apply using an old brush., leave it for while and then apply another small ammount before wiping it off & leaving aprox. 45 mins to dry. Apply primer paint the same day. I.E. don't allow the treated area to get damp again!!1
I used to use Jenolite, but i've now started using another called Kurust (think it's made by the Hammerite peeps).This also a god one to use. Unlike Jenolite it turns the treated area blue/black.

Dan :hangloose

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the stuff cheers. Do you need a primer with the Kurust or does it have a it built in?

Apologies for the incorrectly names product! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
jmsheahan said:
Sounds like the stuff cheers. Do you need a primer with the Kurust or does it have a it built in?

Apologies for the incorrectly names product! :rolleyes:
Kurust is exactly the same as Jenolite in that respect. They both have to be left to dry for about 45 mins. Both have to have primer painted over after drying. I use a good quality brush on one usually such as Simoniz grey brush on primer, nice thick stuff gives good protection.

As i said earlier i prefer Kurust as it turns the treated area really hard and bluish black in colour. Although don't get any on your paintwork (or wipe off immediately) as it will leave a dark stain! :eek:

I'm just trying to find my pot of Kurust at the mo funnily enough as i'm treating 1303 front strut components. Looks like i might have to go and buy some more :(

Dan :hangloose

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
excellent cheers for the info mate, will give one of them a go. Just got to wait for some decent weather eh :incheek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are really paying for a lot of marketing and fancy labels - the active ingredient is dilute phosphoric acid, and the latter works a treat.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Have used jenolite - its no good on pre painted surfaces for touchups as it stains the surrounding area. Good stuff though.

Currently my weapon of choice is some Turtle Wax "Rust Master" its been in the garage unopened for a long, long time. It seems to do a better job than Loctite and Jenolite in my opinion. Dunno if you can still get it!

Bare metalling and a good quality primer will always be the winner though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts