Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first Bug on Friday 29th September and am very happy with it.
There seems to be a lot of the usual tinworm in the heater channels but not a lot elsewhere. :D
I have never replaced the heater channels before but I thought I would give it a go.
Does this look like im on the right track? I really am enjoying it!

Full photos / project site www.verysideways.co.uk/beetle

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi

Hi i brought my 66 back in march and have just replaced the drivers side heater channel. You seem to have made a good job cuuting it out.

You also need to cut the bottom of the channel out at the front as you seem to have missed this. You will also need to repair the bottom of the front inner wing this from the photo looks like its been done before and the door post. The door post looks like its got loads of filler on it.

Hows the other side, mines gone both.

Jack

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup - bolted, welded, rotted - allsorts.

I'll go and take a piccie right now :incheek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the pics after todays couple of hours...
I do have a question though - at the front of the heater channel area, do I cut out the part that is also the inner wing? (the bit with the surface rust on the last picture) :crazy:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JACKS 66 said:
You also need to cut the bottom of the channel out at the front as you seem to have missed this. You will also need to repair the bottom of the front inner wing this from the photo looks like its been done before and the door post. The door post looks like its got loads of filler on it.
OK - I will cut that bit out tomorrow - thanks!
It has been done before by the looks of it, the bottom of the A pillar was just pure rust, I have removed the lower part until I found some nice thick metal to weld back on to.

The other side is not too bad, I have had a good prod and can only find a couple of rusted through bits. I think I might just patch this side up for now. What do you think?

·
Registered
133 Posts
On you last pic above the heater channel there seems to be a weld that runs from the door post to the bulk head. This is the bottom of the inner wing.

It will probably be best to get the panels first so that you can see where to cut the old out. You can get the panel from somewhere like

www.vwheritage.com this is where i get my panels from.

Its best to put the new heater channel and door post in first and get it bolted to the floorpan.

About the other side.

It depends on how bad the rust is because inside the channel is the main heater tube and if this is rotten it will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JACKS 66 said:
It depends on how bad the rust is because inside the channel is the main heater tube and if this is rotten it will need to be replaced.
OH....... there was no heater tube in the Near Side channel, it must have been so badly rusted away - there was nothing left!!
Can I get these from VWHeratage too?

Maybe I should just do the Offside one too whilst im at it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Im trying to get mine on the road for when im 17 as im only 15 at the mo.

Me and my step dad are trying to get the body solid so we can them take it off the floor pan. with out it distorting.

Ye you can get everything from vw heritage

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That reminds me - the rubber that sits inbetween the floorpan and the heater channel.... where can I get this?

Thanks JACKS 66 :hangloose

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ye you should be able to get this from vw heritage to.

I got one the last weekend from machine 7 they supply genuine and repro ones

i went for the genuine ones as they are cut to shape and the repros arnt. They were priced at £26.00

try there web site www.machine7.com

Just checked vw heritage do supply them but there £35 instead of £26 big jump in price for the same thing

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one,

BTW.. if you want pictures hosting, just email them to me and I will put them on my webserver for you. (just looked at the show me your 66 thread)

Let me know if you want - they will appear under

http://www.verysideways.co.uk/beetle/jacks66/"picture name"

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am hoping to get some pics up soon just havent had the time to ask my step dad.

Hope it all goes well with bug what are your plans for it

Cheers Jack

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just picked up a T4 2L lump which I am taking apart at the moment.
Going to get big boire 2.4 litre bores and pistons. Just ordered some shiny big valve heads and roller rockers too :D
Going to keep it semi classic but with a few nice modern touches.
Creme leather interior, deep purple metal-flake paint.....

Its all a bit of a blank canvass at the moment!

Quick and shiny.... thats what I want! :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts