Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kadron Carbs + Vac Dizzy - with pics ! Now Posted

Well not yet as I dont know how to post them on here, can someone advise please as I have taken a few?? :crazy:

I have a set of used Kads and the engine runs OK but badly, kinda like the 'Matrix' where it works but its all wrong :D

I've read the posts on here and been to Mr Kadron's website which is brilliant but lets face it he isnt going to give away all his secrets for free. Simply, I have had a lot of help from here in VZI so a little payback from me isnt out of sorts.

Tonight I started on swapping out the 009 to a vac advance dizzy by removing and drilling the LH carb.

I have taken a few pics of the process up to refitting the carb after drilling and sorting out a few surprises along the way as the LH carb always gave probs and I couldnt figure out why. Turns out that the screws around the plastic 'sandwich' plate were loose at the base of the carb and this cant be good. Sunday night terror but i made a new gasket and put it all back together.

I will finish tightening up the carb tomorrow and then fit the dizzy but can someone please tell me how to post the pics and I will add some notes to them????

:) :) :)

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
looking forward to seeing this :)

If you need pics hosting e mail them to me and I'll host them for you and send you the URLs

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well here is my little engine before I started

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Moby/CheekyMonkey hope this is OK for all.

Usual tight space to work in but I have a cut down 13mm to help, just chopped it with an angle grinder. Works great on heater boxes too.

Just some pics of the carb on the bench, nice and crudded up before a clean

Could do with a nice big arrow pointing at the plug to drill out, can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Simply let the butterfly close then turn the carb upside down and the hole you see is the hole you close.

Good pic showing one of the screws that need checking, both mine were loose so worth a look

I'm sure we all have one of these somewhere. Gently grab the vacum take off pipe with pliers and twist out, dont crush it, blow through to check.

The end that goes in the carb is 3.93mm and at the hose end it is 4mm. I drilled a 3.5mm hole allowing for inaccuracy/vibration in the drilling. After all an end cutter would be better but I havent got any

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Big toy :D

all lined up on the brass plug to drill out

As you can see the plug to be drilled is the one nearest the ball/idle/crank pulley linkage. I did wonder how far to drill in but the last 3mm came out on the end of the bit in one piece more or less. Just drill until the brass stops 'cause then it goes to the metal of the carb body, slow and easy does it

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Carb with vac take off fitted. I used a blob of Chemical Metal smeared around the outer edge before I pushed it in otherwise if you put it in 1st or on the end it will block the hole. Simple mistake but I nearly did it!! :crazy:

More Chemical metal applied using a toothpick to the hole. Use a little and allow it to set then put a 2nd layer over it. I sanded it down using 1000 grade wet'n'dry paper with a spanner holding it open whilst it set. Dont get it in to any other holes.

Finished and back in place on the engine. You can see the vac take off being very close to the fan housing but there is just enough room to get the hose on.

Any questions, drop me a PM as this will probably get lost in the depths.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
thats the way! there is another way that you can do this and iff you send your carb off to have it done this is the way that they do it but its prittymuch the same but more fiddly....
this is drilling straight thru and above butterfly with lower section of carb removed
this obviously requires a small brass port fitting into hole, but you should be able to find one on an old solex
the dizzy would need to be a late model dizzy that offers
vaccuum and centrifugal advance

·
Registered
39 Posts
setting up my kadrons

hi how can you tell what your kadron are jetting for?is there a number on the jet? if so what should it say? thanks mate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts