Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But atleast its giving money to a poorer country than a rich one.

Armed guards at night, is it safe to go out at night???

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Clem said:
I went a few years ago.
Had an awesome hotel etc.
On reflection, Im not sure about it .... you stay in luxury, service is amazing, prices cheap.
The staff who work for you live in huts, literally, in the woods that surround your hotel complex. Armed guards will patrol at night.
The safari trip was unforgettable, we did the Tsavo(?) and saw nearly everything. Also did some scuba which was cool.

The moral issue of lording it over fellow human beings vs. injecting money into thyer economy is a complex one, and I have no answers.

Wonderful country, badly run.
Exactly word for word what I was about to write. I had my honeymoon there. Fantastic. But was I in a prison? There were certainly guards patrolling the hotel grounds at night!

My wife has not been well and I was thinking of taking her back there (with my kids) for a fantastic holiday, but I'm really not sure for exactly the reasons stated by Clem.

Funnily, this is exactly what I'm teaching to Year 9. Based on the evidence, they have to decide if tourism is benefitting Kenya and they then go on to design a brochure to advise tourists of how to lessen thier impact.

I could send you 30 pieces of work to help you decide. You could then mark them for me and post them back! :incheek: :D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive not travelled abroad much, so never really thought of the political/moral issues about visiting a country. Sounds like it will be an eye opener.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If it makes you feel better after going to Kenya and lording over there starving poor you could accept my challenge and do what I did!

I have sponsored a child in Kenya for the last 10 years. It costs £15 per month.

You get details of the child progress at school and a photo attached to the report.

:D Getting that in the post three times a year make you smile. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
bassbear81 said:
Just realised thats the hotel we were looking at, is it far from Mombasa (Can you get a taxi there?)
Yeah, you could. We took the hotel bus from the airport (about 15 minutes drive).

The hotel is great. It's got a cruise ship theme.

If you go, make sure you get a room upgrade as the basic rooms don't have very good air con, and believe me, you need it.

I was told by the hotel to contact them directly for a cheaper holiday next time we go.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Probably not for a honeymoon, but why not travel independently. We've been to kenya twice, once with a flight to nairobi and once to mombasa. camping on tiwi beach is amazing, and there are some great hotels in nairobi and mombasa that are not multi national run. Shop locally and you are giving money directly to the people. Ask around and there are plenty of locals who will take you on good safaris and local taxis/matatus are much cheaper than hotel transport.
Beware of pickpockets and petty thieves and avoid the bus from nairobi to mombasa. be sensible and don't advertise wealth (expensive watch, flash cash, etc and its as safe as anywhere)
Chillout and enjoy the warm beer!
Consider tanzania and zanzibar as alternative, much friendlier and the southern beaches are incredible.

Best wishes and good luck with the wedding and honeymoon

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Crisis? What crisis? said:
No one going to pick up the challenge?
That is a great idea.

When I was in South Africa last - I drove into a township and met a young guy starting a computer company and now I send him software and stuff. Almost nothing to me - but it means he can help others.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
girl at work returns toomorrow after 2 weeks in kenya. i'll let you know what she thought.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts