Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any computer whizz types on here this am??

Bought a cheapo laptop,it doesnt recognise that its got a cd drive-if i go into my computer,it just shows A(floppy) C(main harddrive)

so,the question is;is it likely to just be a loose connection inside,or would an external drive solve the problem?

its a toshiba,running win98se!

thanks guys,

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
purplepete said:
Any computer whizz types on here this am??

Bought a cheapo laptop,it doesnt recognise that its got a cd drive-if i go into my computer,it just shows A(floppy) C(main harddrive)

so,the question is;is it likely to just be a loose connection inside,or would an external drive solve the problem?

its a toshiba,running win98se!

thanks guys,
does it actually have a cdrom drive :)

is the cdrom removable (flip the laptop over and look for a catch you can move) ?

I'm guessing this is second hand, it could just be 'broken'

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont think its removable!-i can open it,but only if i press the button whilst the laptop is firing up

all that shows up is a & c drives

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Sounds like the bios isn't acknowledging it's there.. Go into the bios noramlly F2 on boot up) and check to see if it's listed as a drive...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, tried F2-it says:select boot device
(c) cd rom
(f) fdd
(b) built in hdd
(d) default system setup device
press c f b or d

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
It might well be a clash of drive letters with the HDD... Can you point the CD from to D drive to something like g or h ??

·
Registered
395 Posts
The first thing you should be looking at is whether the operating system can see the CD drive. Presuming the OS is Windows XP:

1. Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage".

2. Click on "Device Manager" and there should be a category called something like "DVD/CD-ROM drives" and under there will be your CD drive.

3. If the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" category is not there, right-click on the computer name at the top of Device Manager and choose "Scan for new Hardware changes". If it picks it up then go to point 4, if not, the laptop cannot see the drive full stop (possible faulty drive etc...)

4. Click on "Disk Management" and see if the CD drive has a drive assigned to it. If not, assign one.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
getting to the point where even i have to admit i dont know what i'm doing..
So,now the question is..will buying an external drive get me past the problem,or how much will it cost me if i go into pc world and get them to have a look at it??

A huge thanks to ladies luv me,but its now pretty much beyond me!-Have tried reassigning drive letters,but it won let me
there are no conflicts showing in device manager

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
purplepete said:
So,now the question is..will buying an external drive get me past the problem,or how much will it cost me if i go into pc world and get them to have a look at it??

A huge thanks to ladies luv me,but its now pretty much beyond me!-Have tried reassigning drive letters,but it won let me
I think PC world's answer is going to be, beyond economical repair.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
clarkson said:
Errr... That'll be the one !!....

It must be recognising there is a cd present as when you select F2 it's list CD in the options to boot too ??

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
purplepete said:

where and how did you try reassigning the drive letters?

don't bother with pc word - if the laptop is running 98 then it's at least eight years old if not older, they will not be interested at all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
clarkson said:
I wouldn't bother. It could cost you more money than you are willing to spend to fix something that could possibly be quite easy to fix. I would suggest asking a tecchie friend to take a look in person (everyone knows a tecchie friend :lol: )

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in device manager
if i click on cd rom to get its properties
current drive letter assignment is blank( grey)
so are reserved drive letters (white)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i've just ascertained that the usb port functions properly,so will a £25 external cd drive solve all my problems??

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
purplepete said:
in device manager
if i click on cd rom to get its properties
current drive letter assignment is blank( grey)
so are reserved drive letters (white)
So it knows it's there but it's not set to be available... If you go into the properties in 'my computer' for the CD and then select hardware tab and then CD option followed by properties again does it say 'use this devise' in the devise usage drop down at the bottom of the box ?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,it doesnt really give me that option!
all i get is that this device is working correctly

sorry to keep asking,but will the external drive get me round the problem?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
purplepete said:
Hi,it doesnt really give me that option!
all i get is that this device is working correctly

sorry to keep asking,but will the external drive get me round the problem?
Sorry bud...

So long as the USB ports are activated then yeah it will be fine as a CD Reader... Anything else will need CD software... :group:

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
purplepete said:
Brilliant!-Thank you!
I'll get an external drive !!
Cheers
bear in mind you won't be able to boot from it, so if you ever need to reinstall windows you'll be a bit stuck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts