Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
said the poster in my GP surgery at 4.50pm this afternoon when i turned up for my 5.00pm appointment

thinking about it - thats - on average - 10 people a day
say 15 minutes per appointment, your looking at 2 1/2 hours

2 1/2 hours in which you'd think the doc could spend a little bit longer with each patient or maybe see his patients quicker (if - like me - they're early for their appointment)

why then, did i not get in to see my doc till 5.37pm......37 minutes after my appointment time :mad:

i mentioned the poster to him - and his reaction was "well - it wastes valuable time and money"

my suggestion that there should be a second poster advising how many patients were delayed by 1/2 hour or more wasnt taken very well :rolleyes:

rant over

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Indeed, hands up anyone who's struggled like to f#ck to actually GET an appointment, get's there well ahead of time and ends up waiting ages- oh, all of us then!

Here's a little story for you...on holiday in Cuba a few weeks ago, a country that essentially has zilch, wanted a little reassurance that our toddler didn't have an ear infection. Went to see nurse who is actually based in the hotel, she says 'come back in 30 minutes, I will call the doctor to come and see you'! 30 minutes later doctor, plus additional nurse and the local nurse are there, take a look, agree no problem, done and dusted, start to finish 45 minutes. Compare that to doing the equivalent over here - 4 hour wait in A and E perhaps?

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
We have our own chair in A+E..always up there :D

Whenever i go it feels like all 309 have remembered and turned up at once!

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
last time i went to a+e i had cut my hand open on a glass doing some vigerous pot washing, go there about 7, sat, some lovely wynos came in shouted, bawled, eventually fell asleep and one pissed himself layed out, had some stitches, got out about midnight

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
dragster172 said:
We have our own chair in A+E..always up there :D

Whenever i go it feels like all 309 have remembered and turned up at once!
yer own fault, still doing bloodsports I take it?! :incheek:

·
ready for the off....
36,619 Posts
Maybe its because the surgery (if it is like ours) is preapred to let patients wait anything up to an hour before they are seen by the doc.

They dont value the service they are offered and therefore treat it like shit.

I'm not saying it is right - its just how it pans out.

·
Registered
78,063 Posts
it works both ways

I fail to understand why people don't have the simple decency to inform anyone if they won't be there... I had an MOT booked and didn't need it, I rang 48 hours before hand and told them I didn't need it. They were genuinly surprised and happy I had told them and not just failed to turn up.

At the same time. Anyone can run a system where people do get their appointment at the time they book. It just requires a properly designed system with some slack and rules for those who are late.

My dentist doesn't run late and nine times out of ten neither does my doctor.

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
peelo said:
it works both ways

I fail to understand why people don't have the simple decency to inform anyone if they won't be there...
If they wait as long as i do for an appointment they may well be dead or in hospital :D

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
peelo said:
My dentist doesn't run late and nine times out of ten neither does my doctor.
i always get in my dentist appointment earlier than booked, but my dr is always late, and not to hot when i get in there :D

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
got my 11.05 appointment. rolled up at 11.00. they say "she's a bit behind." i start to boil over. "how much behind??" "well someone in there now, and two others in front of you." OMG.

I was 25 minutes late going in. so 15 minute drive there, 15 minutes back and 25 minutes waiting, and however long i was in there while she was looking for a totally irelevant photo of a cold sore I didn't have!! total all that up and deduct my half hour lunch and i owe the company about least 20 minutes. and for that she didn't prescribe me anything.

rant over.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
You went to the doctors for a cold sore?

Simple method to sort this...charge people a tenner for not turning up. Then next time...you pay the tenner or you dont see the doctor. People might think twice then..and if they dont, the NHS is 4k a month better off from that surgery alone!

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
oh we have that ring on the day system where i can't get an appointment for toffee. i have to go down there and queue at 8.15am when they supposedly don't allocated until 8.30am then go to work and come back later for my appointment.

all i want is for someone to say Tuesday 11am. sorted. not, "oh you'll have to ring back at 12.30 for the afternoon appointments" because they refuse to book a day or two in advance.

good job i don't get sick. normally i save up my aches and pains and go in there armed with a list when i need a repeat prescription. wham bam all done in one go.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
Mr Big said:
You went to the doctors for a cold sore?
no. i went to the doctor as apparently i had an allergic reaction to a can of drink. my lips had been blistering for abour 4 weeks and i thought i would give them a chance to fix themselves, then got some cream from the chemist, then gave in and made an appointment. she just told me to get vaseline. i knew it wasn't a coldsore as i get regular coldsores, but she would insist on finding a photo of something I didn't have!

oh i ring them if i am not going or even if i am running late so they know if i'm coming or not.

·
Registered
25,882 Posts
well yeah, but i owed my company a total of 3 lunch breaks to pay back the time spent at the doctors!

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Volks-Widow said:
oh we have that ring on the day system where i can't get an appointment for toffee. i have to go down there and queue at 8.15am when they supposedly don't allocated until 8.30am then go to work and come back later for my appointment.

all i want is for someone to say Tuesday 11am. sorted. not, "oh you'll have to ring back at 12.30 for the afternoon appointments" because they refuse to book a day or two in advance.

good job i don't get sick. normally i save up my aches and pains and go in there armed with a list when i need a repeat prescription. wham bam all done in one go.
Same here, last time I tried in vain to get an appointment my caring surgery helpfully suggested I 'consider going elsewhere'! Nice.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
peelo said:
it works both ways

I fail to understand why people don't have the simple decency to inform anyone if they won't be there... I had an MOT booked and didn't need it, I rang 48 hours before hand and told them I didn't need it. They were genuinly surprised and happy I had told them and not just failed to turn up.
Agreed. :) Where i used to work around 1 in 20 mot`s (they were all pre-booked and i took most of the phone calls amongst other things) just wouldnt turn up. Very few peeps would actually bother to ring and cancel :( (i would guess about 1 in 5 of the ones that didnt turn up would bother ringing to let me know) , and as we were booking a week or more in advance (was doing them for £20) it wasnt fair to peeps who could of got in sooner...

Volks-Widow said:
well yeah, but i owed my company a total of 3 lunch breaks to pay back the time spent at the doctors!
I used to ask for an early morning app as they normally wouldnt give an app for 3 - 5 days anyway. Work never complained when i went in about an hour late (then again i didnt often take my full lunch break normally anyway)

The idea of a charge for missed appointments isnt a bad idea either , with reasonable allowances (it shouldnt turn into a money making idea if someone is a few mins late , people are late sometimes) , i would say more than 30 mins late is too much...

Not sure about it working the other way around though (paying us if they are late seeing us) , sounds good in practise but it might make our overstressed docs rush apps with peeps who do need time...

Someone told me earlier this year (no idea how truthful this is) that in France you have to pay around 20 to see the doc but they see you either at their surgery or at home if you want and the same day too normally.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
kvwloon said:
Here's a little story for you...on holiday in Cuba a few weeks ago, a country that essentially has zilch, wanted a little reassurance that our toddler didn't have an ear infection. Went to see nurse who is actually based in the hotel, she says 'come back in 30 minutes, I will call the doctor to come and see you'! 30 minutes later doctor, plus additional nurse and the local nurse are there
...leaving a load of poorly Cubans waiting somewhere ? (possible - can't know)

Could just be the tourist dollar in action that one I'd have thought

That said, having spent a little time in the east of Cuba well away from the typical tourist bit (very cool time) it did seem from what we were told that their doctor / patient ratio is very much better than ours - I can't substantiate that though :)

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mr Big said:
Simple method to sort this...charge people a tenner for not turning up.
cuts both ways - charge them a tenner when you're delayed

thing is - its not just GPs. Ive had 3 consultants appointments this year - the initial consultation, a follow up consulation and my discharge.

at the 1st, i was 45 minutes late in, the 2nd 30 minutes and the 3rd 55 minutes :eek:

i'm lucky enought to have sympathetic employers, flexi time and a car.....i pity those who use public transport

as a "customer" i expect decent service......if you waited so long for a film to start, or your meal to arrive, or your petrol pump to be activated you'd kick up a stink - i dont see why this is any different

·
Registered
8,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and another bloody rant......last time i rang for an appointment on a monday at 8.30am i was told "you do know that mondays are reserved for acute medical emergencies dont you" in a really condescending snotty tone of voice by the receptionist

she didnt know what to say when i mentioned "my local A+E dept is for acute medical emergencies"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts