Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order a 32 inch LCD HD tv, but struggling to decide which one.

I have read about the two different line formats, 720 and 1080.

However, I am struggling to find a 32 inch one with the higher line format, at a sensible price.

Is this a problem?

The most likely one I've seen so far is the Sharp LC32GD8E.

Any advice please? Budget is around £700-800.

Cheers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pyro said:
Advice? tep dont bother theres only shite on....

Sorry ignore me
I hardly ever, if at all watch terrestrial tv.

I love films though, and music channels.

Jen however.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
56 ragtop said:
Go here www.avforums.com for more advice than you can shake a stick at. Prepare to be even more confused and undecided than before you went though :D
That was probably the best, and worst advice you could give me!

I spend far too much time deliberating which things to buy... I've been trying to choose cylinder heads for the last 6 months! :D

Cheers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
All so called 'HD Ready' TV's will do 720P and 1080i. Some of the tellies coming onto the market now will do 1080P too. At the screen size you're looking at, it won't make much difference. It also has to be said, in quite a few cases it's the processing that takes place rather then the outright resolution that will make the picture look good.

Will you be using an HD source in the near future? Will you be hooking up a PS3 to it at some point? Or maybe an Xbox?

Go round all the big shops and see what they are using for an input for the displays, are they using component or HDMI with upscaled DVD. Or god forbid an RF source? Basically find out what you're really looking at before making a decsion on picture quality.

Make sure it has the right connections on the back, e.g. 2 HDMI inputs would be useful, Component in, multiple scart sockets.


cheers,
type3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
type3 said:
All so called 'HD Ready' TV's will do 720P and 1080i. Some of the tellies coming onto the market now will do 1080P too. At the screen size you're looking at, it won't make much difference. It also has to be said, in quite a few cases it's the processing that takes place rather then the outright resolution that will make the picture look good.

Will you be using an HD source in the near future? Will you be hooking up a PS3 to it at some point? Or maybe an Xbox?

Go round all the big shops and see what they are using for an input for the displays, are they using component or HDMI with upscaled DVD. Or god forbid an RF source? Basically find out what you're really looking at before making a decsion on picture quality.

Make sure it has the right connections on the back, e.g. 2 HDMI inputs would be useful, Component in, multiple scart sockets.

cheers,
type3
I will be getting sky hd in the not too distant future - I have sky digital now.

The Sharp one has a digital tuner built in as well, which is preferable.

Unsure whether I'll be allowed a PS3 ;)

Cheers for the info :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
DESIGN7O said:
I will be getting sky hd in the not too distant future - I have sky digital now.

The Sharp one has a digital tuner built in as well, which is preferable.

Unsure whether I'll be allowed a PS3 ;)

Cheers for the info :)
I haven't really looked at any of the Sharp TV's so I'm not too clued up on them. The reviews in What Hifi Sound and Vision are bit hit and miss, but that seems to be the case for all manufacturers of LCD tellies at that price. Just make sure you audition several different makes/models in that price range thoroughly. Good luck.

cheers,
type3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
type3 said:
I haven't really looked at any of the Sharp TV's so I'm not too clued up on them. The reviews in What Hifi Sound and Vision are bit hit and miss, but that seems to be the case for all manufacturers of LCD tellies at that price. Just make sure you audition several different makes/models in that price range thoroughly. Good luck.

cheers,
type3
I'm off down to Comet in an hour :D

Chances are i'll buy it online, but may as well give them a chance to match the online prices.

How much do you think you need to spend to get a good quality one? I'm still in shock about paying £800 for a new tv! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
DESIGN7O said:
How much do you think you need to spend to get a good quality one? I'm still in shock about paying £800 for a new tv! :lol:
The blunt truth I'm afraid is I don't like LCD TV's, I started out with a budget of 1k and ended up paying alot more than that to get something I was happy with. Went for plasma in the end and it's stunning. If you can stretch the budget a bit, take a look at the 32" Panasonics and maybe Sony if they have something at that price point.

cheers,
type3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
type3 said:
The blunt truth I'm afraid is I don't like LCD TV's, I started out with a budget of 1k and ended up paying alot more than that to get something I was happy with. Went for plasma in the end and it's stunning. If you can stretch the budget a bit, take a look at the 32" Panasonics and maybe Sony if they have something at that price point.

cheers,
type3
Always the way.

Going back to what I said about cylinder heads, my budget has already doubled!

I'm off for a look round now.

Its just a shame that I have never met a Comet/Dixons/Curries etc salesman who has inspired confidence... Maybe I should take a look at somewhere like Richer Sounds?

Thanks again for the advice :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
DESIGN7O said:
Its just a shame that I have never met a Comet/Dixons/Curries etc salesman who has inspired confidence... Maybe I should take a look at somewhere like Richer Sounds?

Thanks again for the advice :)
No worries. :) I went with Comet in the end, the one near me is okay and I've bought a few things from there without problems. Curry's suck monkey balls, I think Dixons have pulled out of the high street now. I've never been a fan of Richer Sounds but I gave them the benefit of the doubt when looking for a TV. Turned out to be the worst shop of them all! In the end it was between John Lewis and Comet. I guess this all varies from area to area though. :)

cheers,
type3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
899 Posts
bought myself a Toshiba 32WLT66

and i'm really pleased with it :hangloose

ok so it's not quite top of the league with the old 780 ... 1080 stuff

but on a 32" i couldn't see much difference :crazy:



and if you shop around you'll find it well in your budget now too !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
type3 said:
Good price. :) Spec looks okay, just be aware it's only got 1 HDMI and that component in is a via a D-Sub connector rather than phono sockets. As long as you're happy with the viewing angle and pixel response time it should be okay (for the money). :)

cheers,
type3
What an idiot in Comet - lived up to all my expectations of him.

Couldn't get the tv to work on Freeview, refused to match the Dixons price (which I expected) but also refused to budge on the £799 price! I asked him if he thought £194 was a lot of money and he shrugged.

Maybe that's why I don't work at Comet ;)

I did see some great 26 inch ones with excellent quality pictures on Freeview / Sky Digital, but I think I'll still go for the Sharp one for a touch over £600.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,066 Posts
DESIGN7O said:
What an idiot in Comet - lived up to all my expectations of him.

Couldn't get the tv to work on Freeview, refused to match the Dixons price (which I expected) but also refused to budge on the £799 price! I asked him if he thought £194 was a lot of money and he shrugged.

Maybe that's why I don't work at Comet ;)

I did see some great 26 inch ones with excellent quality pictures on Freeview / Sky Digital, but I think I'll still go for the Sharp one for a touch over £600.

:)
:lol: @ Comet coment! Sounds like a proper plum. :D

cheers,
type3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I've just read about 'Pixel Plus Technology' which apparently adds 33% more lines!

Any ideas? :confused:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top