Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last question of the evening, bare in mind I'm new and know practically nothing.

Basically I have a Leisure Battery which is run from a Dynamo,a wire goes from a point on the engine (Which looks fine , I've been told)goes through a small black box (Split Relay?), a black wire comes out and is earthed to the van, another wire goes off towards the normal battery (There is a fuse in the wire , which looks fine its the glass variety with silver ends), then from the black box (Split Relay) a red wire goes off to the leisure battery, which is in the middle of the van.

I tested the red wire with a bulb and a screw on the van to check that a charge was coming through and it was....We had light.

So for some reason the battery is loosing charge.

The battery can be charged from a mains battery charger.

Questions:

Does that all sound fine?

Should the leasure battery have an earth cable going from it to the van?

Is there something wrong with black box (Split Relay), normal battery taking charge away from Leisure battery.???

Well there you have it...????....would love to have some music whilst we drive...as our DVD players is also the CD Player

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
Yes, it sounds correct. The leisure battery must have an earth to the bodywork/chassis. Leisure batteries take a long time to charge up initially so mains charge it for a long time to start with. You can get inexpensive little LED monitors to show the state of charge going to and from it as well, may be useful. Here's how it should be wired, just so you can check............

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Lose the leaisure battery....i had 1 and they're rubbish! They take forever to charge. I recently put in a 70amp car battery from eurocarparts for about £40. Think it's got a lifetime warranty - or 10 years. It will recharge 10 times the speed of the leisure battery, mine literally took hours to recharge if completely flattened.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I thought that leasure batteries were designed to charge from flat multiple times, whereas a car batter will only go totally flat two or three times before it's totally knackered.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys,

Cheers to you all for the replys,
Loving the picture to let me know what goes where, very nice.

I think it is actually a car battery already so thats that covered, will check once I get the van back with a new or reconditioned engine later this week..

So looking forward to ripping out the interior....

Need some new seats, carpet, a full width rock n roll bed, reupholstered panelling, new cooker unit with sink....

Roll on Winter....

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
don't do what we did. fitted leisure battery & split relay - also fitted a zig battery meter. half an hour of motoring confirmed the battery had increased it's charge on the zig meter. all good.

all was fine - runs interior lights, exterior light & stereo (with 12v to 240v adaptor from Halfords), charges phones, gameboys etc...

then we made the mistake of plugging in one of those small hold 4 cans of beer type fridges overnight...

this will empty your leisure battery quick smart - and 300 miles of driving did little to recharge it - had to do it on mains when we returned from holiday - now fine

ps small 12v/240v fridge for sale, hold 4 cans of beer. e mail me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts