Volkszone Forum banner
941 - 960 of 988 Posts

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
This is one I've been itching to get my hands on - the Corgi Model Club East African Safari Beetle

Corgi Model Club Volkswagen 1200 East African Safari by RS, on Flickr
Corgi Toys/Model Club Volkswagen 1200 Saloon by RS, on Flickr

I love it. Makes my original look shabby but it's 50 odd years old after all. Corgi are doing a superb job reproducing these old cars complete with boxes and accessories. They do have to stamp them "Made in China" unfortunately, the only other change I can see is the addition of the VW roundel on the base which I'm curious about. I know VW are very hot on copyright, even on stuff they no longer make - I'm surprised this hasn't had to have "official VW product" stuck all over it too

· Registered
2,687 Posts
This is one I've been itching to get my hands on - the Corgi Model Club East African Safari Beetle

I love it. Makes my original look shabby but it's 50 odd years old after all. Corgi are doing a superb job reproducing these old cars complete with boxes and accessories. They do have to stamp them "Made in China" unfortunately, the only other change I can see is the addition of the VW roundel on the base which I'm curious about. I know VW are very hot on copyright, even on stuff they no longer make - I'm surprised this hasn't had to have "official VW product" stuck all over it too

That is just superb

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
The bigger toy fair at the re-opened Brentwood Centre was on yesterday, didn't think I'd find much VW stuff as there's another collector locally who gets in before the general public and tracks down all the goodies.

I did notice this though, it's a Metosul from Portugal. Probably unlikely to find another so I bought it

Metosul Volkswagen by RS, on Flickr

I also found another Dinky Beach Buggy, complete with its hood unlike my others. I'm certain this was originally sold as a kit as that green paint is the only colour it's ever been

Dinky Beach Buggy by RS, on Flickr

I also had a pre-arranged trade arranged so I got the Majorette Beetle monster truck I didn't find at TK Maxx recently

Majorette VW Beetle monster truck by RS, on Flickr

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
This was an idea suggested to me on another forum after discussing Matchbox adapting the 1960s 1500 casting...

Matchbox Superfast 15 Volkswagen 1500 Sedan by RS, on Flickr

...into the Volks-Dragon, Dragon Wheels, Sand Digger and this, the Flying Bug. Should be an easy job to convert one into a custom with proper windows?

Matchbox 11 Flying Bug by RS, on Flickr
Matchbox 11 Flying Bug by RS, on Flickr

Well, I found out that the roof shape is different, but I did what I could to adapt the interior and glass out of the 1500, including filling the holes left where the Red Baron character once sat, along with the wing/engines, and cutting a new rear window in. I also removed the weird protrusion at the front of the base and the parachute at the back, plus the usual cleaning up of casting lines etc. Wheels are off a Hot Wheels Mario kart

Matchbox Flying Bug custom by RS, on Flickr
Matchbox Flying Bug custom by RS, on FlickrMatchbox Flying Bug custom by RS, on Flickr

I do have some form with this, having previously done the same with the Mini Ha Ha

Matchbox Mini Ha Ha custom by RS, on Flickr
Matchbox Mini Ha Ha custom by RS, on Flickr

· Premium Member
9,351 Posts
Splendid ! I agree, these Repros are superb. I have a very similar Tri-Ang "SPOT-ON" Beetle 'Rally' model, (was very battered), tyre on the roof missing, (didn't operate steering on that model).
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

May treat myself to the Corgi repro.

· Registered
2,687 Posts
That’s superb work there dude!
Like most people I suppose I have quite a few flying bugs in various states but not sure if I’ve one complete, may have a tuismitheoir one thst the sticker was taken off 🙄🙄

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Do they use matchbox castings? Some of those look familiar, the high roller I’m almost sure the kids have in green but thought it was matchbox, must check

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
Do they use matchbox castings? Some of those look familiar, the high roller I’m almost sure the kids have in green but thought it was matchbox, must check
No, there are some Maisto/MC Toys castings sold under the Zee Toys name, funny enough one came along with the baja yesterday

Zylmex Pacesetters Porsche 959 by RS, on Flickr
Zylmex Pacesetters Porsche 959 by RS, on Flickr

I don't know what the base says though.That High Roller does look rather a lot like the Matchbox Mini Pickup doesn't it?

Matchbox Mini Pick Up by RS, on Flickr

Or maybe the 4X4 Open Back Truck

Matchbox 4X4 Open Back Truck by RS, on Flickr

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
Takes me back! Was the yellow truck a roller magic?
Rolamatic - not that one, but the earlier Wild Life Truck was - there should be a lion in the back that rotates on a turntable

Matchbox Rolamatics 57 Wild Life Truck by Rich Secker, on Flickr
Matchbox Rolamatics 57 Wild Life Truck by Rich Secker, on Flickr

Does the back look familiar? It morphed into the Mini Pickup in later life - you can see the registration number is the same, although the F O R D lettering was blanked off and the swage lines removed

Matchbox Mini Pick Up by Rich Secker, on Flickr

But it actually started life even earlier, as the Kennel Truck - one of the regular wheel Matchbox that was converted to a Superfast in the late 60s

Matchbox 50c Ford Kennel Truck by Rich Secker, on Flickr
Matchbox Superfast 50c Ford Kennel Truck by Rich Secker, on Flickr
Matchbox Superfast 50c Ford Kennel Truck by Rich Secker, on Flickr

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Ah yeah I remember the lion one now! I’ve the 4x4 but coloured it in with a black marker 🤦‍♂️ Found a tidy one but looked like it was trodden on as wheels buckled
I’ve a red pick up with a camper back on it but that’s maybe a different casting?

· Premium Member
12,623 Posts
The bigger toy fair at the re-opened Brentwood Centre was on yesterday, didn't think I'd find much VW stuff as there's another collector locally who gets in before the general public and tracks down all the goodies.

I did notice this though, it's a Metosul from Portugal. Probably unlikely to find another so I bought it

I also found another Dinky Beach Buggy, complete with its hood unlike my others. I'm certain this was originally sold as a kit as that green paint is the only colour it's ever been

I also had a pre-arranged trade arranged so I got the Majorette Beetle monster truck I didn't find at TK Maxx recently

Majorette VW Beetle monster truck by RS, on Flickr
also available in yellow but not a kit

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
Ah yeah I remember the lion one now! I’ve the 4x4 but coloured it in with a black marker 🤦‍♂️ Found a tidy one but looked like it was trodden on as wheels buckled
I’ve a red pick up with a camper back on it but that’s maybe a different casting?
That'll be this one, Ford Pick-Up. Same front end but a stepside bed. Another one that went from a regular wheels to a Superfast. Some of those have mint green bases instead of black, never found out why but several models had similar treatment - probably just using up unused paint but it makes collecting variations fun

Matchbox Superfast 6a Ford Pick-up by RS, on FlickrMatchbox Superfast 6a Ford Pick-up by RS, on Flickr

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
Picked this up locally, it's a plastic wind-up Scirocco. I have a couple of Beetles from the same maker

20221014_120639 by RS, on Flickr
20221014_120653 by RS, on Flickr

Guy then brought out several trays of VWs, mostly those pull-back 1303s you used to see rows of in every seaside gift shop. And this

20221014_120957 by RS, on Flickr
20221014_121007 by RS, on Flickr

There was something very familiar about it - it's a fairly basic motorised plastic kit, that as it turns out was originally made by Imai, but has been passed around here and there through Scale Craft, Aoshima and is still made by Italeri apparently. The reason I recognised it was I had one in my early teens, and customised it. I still have it

20221014_121232 by RS, on Flickr
20221014_121106 by RS, on Flickr

Various bits of '57 Chevy and Sierra Cosworth went into creating it, nice to have a stock one to keep it company!

Lastly, something I found in my local charity shop's glass display case today

20221015_145920 by RS, on Flickr

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Great finds, I’ve the 1303 in kit form hiding away, the headlights never sat right! This is why it’s pointed this way lol that’s an original vw label pin sat on the rear.
Scirocco is quality!
This is similar to the camper I was thinking of, mine in well played with state, I also had a thing for ramming it into digestive biscuits 😂
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
This came in the post while I was in Germany this week, Playart bug

Playart Volkswagen by RS, on Flickr
Playart Volkswagen by RS, on Flickr

One of the bonuses of working in Germany occasionally is getting to hunt for toy cars, their shops are vastly better stocked than our own. I visited two branches of Smyths and a TK Maxx for these, both shops that are all over the place in the UK but just aren't as well stocked. My favourite hunting place is a chain called Muller, didn't have much time on this visit though

20221021_211317 by RS, on Flickr
20221021_212652 by RS, on Flickr

I'm sure no-one minds me including a Porsche?

20221021_212357 by RS, on Flickr
20221021_212037 by RS, on Flickr

This is my best find though

20221021_211231 by RS, on Flickr

In case you haven't seen it, this is the Scumbug built by Hoonican in the states

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,494 Posts
941 - 960 of 988 Posts