Volkszone Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1016 Posts

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,533 Posts

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,533 Posts
In one of those strange little co-incidences, my friend sent me a TikTok video of a Hot Wheels shop in Swindon - the next day my work took me right past it!

20221201_110653 by RS, on Flickr

This was a tiny section of the stock available. I tried to be sensible and came away with these;

K-Mart exclusive

Hot Wheels Custom Volkswagen Beetle by RS, on Flickr

One of the earliest versions of this casting with the opening decklid

Hot Wheels Custom Volkswagen Beetle by RS, on Flickr

I do have this but not on its card

Hot Wheels Volkswagen Bug by RS, on Flickr

These two are unusual, they are part of a series called Kar Keepers which had a protective case around the card originally

Hot Wheels Baja Bug by RS, on Flickr
Hot Wheels Baja Bug by RS, on Flickr

· Registered
2,750 Posts
This is a real oddball, I actually bid on one in a job lot recently but got outbid - didn't miss out on the next one though!

Matchbox Sand Digger with raised chassis by RS, on Flickr

Turns out it's from a USA series issued under Tyco's ownership of Matchbox, called High Riders. Normal cars became 4x4 and 4x4s became dragsters...
I remember having a couple of those, the 4x4 one not dragster likevthat, still have a celica supra on a set, although think one of the clips that hold the cars wheels in broke, they were a bit fragile. I don’t remember that version though 😎 very cool

· Registered
2,750 Posts
I can't find any pictures of the Sand Digger online but both I've seen on eBay recently were this one.
This was also an eBay find, a code 2 Edocar MK1 Golf

Edocar MK1 Golf by RS, on Flickr
That’s quite nice, I’ve a few edocars as they were 50p when matchboxes were &1 and made some really mundane boring stuff that I loved. Am I right that a lot never had what type of car it was on them?

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,533 Posts
Not sure - they're MC Toys/Maisto castings, sometimes in the same colours, sometimes different - so the common white Champer/Camper (that's a copy of the 60's Matchbox)...

Maisto VW Champer by RS, on Flickr

...becomes red

Edocar 025 Camper by RS, on Flickr

That one's mint and boxed and still one of my best finds!

· Registered
2,750 Posts
Not sure - they're MC Toys/Maisto castings, sometimes in the same colours, sometimes different - so the common white Champer/Camper (that's a copy of the 60's Matchbox)...

Maisto VW Champer by RS, on Flickr

...becomes red

That one's mint and boxed and still one of my best finds!

I think I have that in white or my kids do, the ones I got would have been in late 1980s 90s 👀

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,533 Posts

· Saddest VZi'er 2017
10,533 Posts
Now this is a proper weirdo. Idea Toys Guzzlers Beetle

Ideal Toys Guzzlers Beetle by RS, on Flickr

The idea was, you added "fuel" (water) from a little plastic jerry can, and some foam soaked it up and make a connection to the 9V battery in the base. They're supposed to be pretty fast too.
I do have another one, the Corvette, which has the fuel can with it.

Ideal Toys Guzzlers Corvette by RS, on Flickr

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts

· Administrator
69,578 Posts
Picked up this very tidy Matchbox Flying Bug at the toy fair today. Has a couple of very small chips which I hope I can touch in

20221228_143153 by RS, on Flickr
20221228_143159 by RS, on Flickr

Didn't pay very much, there were several other worse examples on offer for twice the price of mine
:cool: 🤙

· Registered
2,750 Posts
Picked up this very tidy Matchbox Flying Bug at the toy fair today. Has a couple of very small chips which I hope I can touch in

20221228_143153 by RS, on Flickr
20221228_143159 by RS, on Flickr

Didn't pay very much, there were several other worse examples on offer for twice the price of mine
Looks mint!

981 - 1000 of 1016 Posts