Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much oil do i put in now iv'e full flowed the oil?? im guessing i just fill up the filter screw it on and top up engine as needed to standard level??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,754 Posts
Pretty much. Remember all that hose you've put in has volume too. I'd make sure dipstick was reading correct level, fill filter (if possible, on mine its on tis side so its not poss) then fire er up for a minute. Check level again and top up if needed. Repeat this check after your first short drive.

Double check your hose clamps once more before you move off ob first run or you'll dump the whole caseload of oil. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shane r said:
Ask me how I know :rolleyes:
OK.... how do you know?? :D seriously though did the engine seaze? thanks for the info shane, :hangloose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,754 Posts
Nope, only ran it long enough to back out of my drive. As I backed up I saw 3 litres of oil sitting in a pool on my drive, the pavement and road in front of my house. Neighbours well chuffed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
shane r said:
Pretty much. Remember all that hose you've put in has volume too. I'd make sure dipstick was reading correct level, fill filter (if possible, on mine its on tis side so its not poss) then fire er up for a minute. Check level again and top up if needed. Repeat this check after your first short drive.
Following this advice should also take care of volume disparities due to air-locks in the pipework etc.
 

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
Joined
·
12,573 Posts
I saw shanes road shortly after this happened. What a mess! :eek:

:D

I'd recommend turning the engine over without the king lead attached so it doesn't fire.

Turn it over until the oil pressure light goes out. Wait a few minutes for the level to settle, then check the level. Top up and fit the lead back on.

I know it sounds a bit of overkill, but its important to get the oil flowing around the engine and its no big deal to diconnect the lead.

Like Shane says, the cannister and pipes actually hold quite a lot of oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
monkey said:
I saw shanes road shortly after this happened. What a mess! :eek:

:D

I'd recommend turning the engine over without the king lead attached so it doesn't fire.

Turn it over until the oil pressure light goes out. Wait a few minutes for the level to settle, then check the level. Top up and fit the lead back on.

I know it sounds a bit of overkill, but its important to get the oil flowing around the engine and its no big deal to diconnect the lead.

Like Shane says, the cannister and pipes actually hold quite a lot of oil.
sounds like a plan, i was worryed about air in there but this will purge it i guess!

thanks all!
 

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
Joined
·
12,573 Posts
shane r said:
Still is. You thinking of going to Stonor Monkey?
Doubtful mate.

We're off out to dinner tonight for one of Helens mates birthdays, then as a birthday present, she's asked if we would take her and her fella away in the bus.

So weather permitting, we'll be away on sat/sun. If it rains, I'll be able to go. First time in 5 years I've not been. :(
 

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
Joined
·
4,995 Posts
monkey said:
I saw shanes road shortly after this happened. What a mess! :eek:
Top tip for anyone who does the same, get down to Tesco's and get a big box of value washing powder for £1.30something and tip the whole box on the slick and leave it for a day. Then brush it up and wash it off

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,754 Posts
Forsh said:
Top tip for anyone who does the same, get down to Tesco's and get a big box of value washing powder for £1.30something and tip the whole box on the slick and leave it for a day. Then brush it up and wash it off

:)
Funnily enough, I tried just that. Took away about 60% of the stain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Turn it over until the oil pressure light goes out. Wait a few minutes for the level to settle, then check the level. Top up and fit the lead back on.
Pull the plugs out first. it'll give the starter motor an easier time, and your bearings will be without oil for less time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
this might seem a daft question im having a engine built and i have a deep sump on it does your dip-stick still work as in still a good reliable reading! or am i being a well big dip-stick for asking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
The max mark is still in the right place, but the min mark will be too high. (i.e. you could let the oil go below the min mark)

Best policy is to observe the original marks and top up when its on min, you'll have peace of mind knowing you have a good saftey margin.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top