Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running Ubuntu 8 on this laptop and Fedora 10 on another, have decided to put a bigger HD in this one (found a 120 gig lying around) so I fancy trying another flavour of Linux.

Your recommendations please.... What should I go for now?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,673 Posts
Opensuse 11.1 is superb, ask Bluegrasshippie. I have been trying to get a magazine distro disk of Mandriva 2009 to work, but it hangs when booting the disk. I like to try as many distros as possible.

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Mac's run unix not linux anyway :p

But if you do decide to try some good old bsd unix... freebsd, you even get to choice your gui :D

As for linux, im a gentoo fanboy myself! :)

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opensuse 11.1 is superb, ask Bluegrasshippie. I have been trying to get a magazine distro disk of Mandriva 2009 to work, but it hangs when booting the disk. I like to try as many distros as possible.
I have not used opensuse for a while, I had Mandriva 2008 running on the fedora laptop for a while, quite liked it, very user friendly.

Might go for opensuse this time.

·
52,673 Posts
I have not used opensuse for a while, I had Mandriva 2008 running on the fedora laptop for a while, quite liked it, very user friendly.

Might go for opensuse this time.
Just out of interest. Do you prefer GNOME, KDE of XFCE?

·
52,673 Posts
at a pinch KDE. But I quite like gnome as well. Not really messed with XFCE much.
I'm an GNOME man, really can't get on with KDE. My wife's netbook came with Linpus Lite pre-installed, that ran XFCE, I was very impressed, it is super light and quick. She running the Linux4One Ubuntu Remix now with GNOME, she prefers GNOME. I have been gifted some older PCs some I an going for Xubuntu for it's lightness.

Don't forget, there are far more options than just gnome, kde or xfce!
Such as?

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
I'm an GNOME man, really can't get on with KDE. My wife's netbook came with Linpus Lite pre-installed, that ran XFCE, I was very impressed, it is super light and quick. She running the Linux4One Ubuntu Remix now with GNOME, she prefers GNOME. I have been gifted some older PCs some I an going for Xubuntu for it's lightness.

Such as?
Windowmaker, Enlightenment, TWM (for the masocists :p), fkuxbox, icewm, afterstep and many many more, there are quite a lot of window managers, myself, im a windowmaker man!

·
52,673 Posts
Would that run ok on an old Armada 1700 with 128 ram?

I just happen to have one sitting next to me doing bugger all.
IIRC it'll run the Live CD in as little as 128mb, but to install I believe you need a minimum of 192mb.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DSL is really for a 486 so any other suggestions for what might load onto the Armada? Debian?

·
Registered
420 Posts
a good allternative to DSL is Puppy Linux, runs lighter than Xbuntu if i remember correctly!

I do like the latest Opensuse and mandriva :)

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Poppy is supposed to be quite nice, for a smaller memory footprint you might try using xfce or if your feeling more adventerous you could branch out to something like fluxbox (significantly lower overhead).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts