Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
20200409_195952 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

20190829_103123 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

This has been lurking in the corner of the yard since last summer when I got it off a mate. With the lockdown on at the mo and not being able to start on a 1302 which is stored miles away I thought I'd get stuck into this. Getting around 6 hours a week on it between work and other stuff, so hoping to get the welding done in next few months.

The idea is to try and build it out of the parts I've accumulated in the shed/loft over the years - some of those 'that'll be useful one day' parts rather than buying anything new.

It's not going to be a mint paint job one when finished - just rust free, satin black paint and a bit of pinstriping.

The car itself isn't too bad. The chassis is good although the beam is rotten, but got one of them. Body wise heater channels are solid apart front inner wings, but I'll probably change the bottom plates as they are pitted and so I can paint inside. Usual rusty wing bolt areas on front and back, rear door to wing panels and valance. Doors are surprisingly good. No interior at all apart from a passenger seat and no engine. Got a late 1200 that's been lurking under the bench for years which I'm going to get a mate to rebuild.

2019-05-22_04-08-07 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

20190521_094253 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

20190521_094244 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

First was to chop the front end off. The inner wing part of the channel was replaced on both sides.

20200405_170509 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

20200409_195935 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

I'd picked up a couple of mexican quarters off Mark on here a while back. They'd been fitted to another car then cut off so they had the remains of all the inner panels attached and someone had started deseaming them. There was enough of the seam left at the bottom on both to go some way up the a post seam for alignment, then the rest that had been cut off was let in just before the seam.

20200414_152035 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

Tacked the quarters in place until the whole front end was assembled to make sure everything lines up.

20200422_205041 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
As there was the remains of the wheel well, valance and the rest of the front end still attached to the quarters with half a reel of welding wire everywhere from the previous owner I went with the easier option of adding the front clip from the shed.
Needs the front valance replacing but got a rust free one for that. After adding the wings to check, have got the ps quarter welded in.

20200502_131104 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

20200502_131048 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

So that was the last couple of weeks, about 24 hours so far.
Just need to weld up the indicator hole and add the brake resevoir holder and that side is done. d/s quarter in fully next and replace the fuel filler area which has been cut out.

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,242 Posts
Ace. Another thread to pass my lockdown time :D Subscribed.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Great! I love those wheels on it, interceptors? I remember they were on my wanted list back in the day!!!

·
Seasoned Chat Slut
2,132 Posts
You have to keep or replicate the 'Love Machine' bonnet emblem!

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all, no pressure then eh :lol:

Yep, interceptors. tyres are all good so was going to reuse, but after bolting the wings on not sure how clearance on the fronts will go.

I quite like the bonnet logo, but I'd need to replace the nose and the inner and outer rear corners on both sides, so it'll likely become wall art in the garage.

Got p/s quarter bits all finished last night and most of the d/s quarter in.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
thanks all, no pressure then eh :lol:

Yep, interceptors. tyres are all good so was going to reuse, but after bolting the wings on not sure how clearance on the fronts will go.

I quite like the bonnet logo, but I'd need to replace the nose and the inner and outer rear corners on both sides, so it'll likely become wall art in the garage.

Got p/s quarter bits all finished last night and most of the d/s quarter in.
Cool.
Anyone else start singing like Bruce Willis everytime they look into this thread:lol:?

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Been a while since an update. Juggling welding this and the wife's mini, plus this unexpected joy after someone knocked the bumper end off the t4 - ended up making most of the rear corner and an inner and outer rear arch which took a few evenings. Just waiting on a mate to do the filler work and throw some paint on it. Other side is rock solid so can only assume the vent at the top was leaking.

2020-06-14_09-40-07 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

2020-06-14_09-40-30 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

Bug-wise - petrol filler/recess welded in, scuttles done, surprisingly only a few tiny pin holes once the rotten seal strip was removed, love machine bonnet has become wall art (although I'm liking the glovebox lid idea) and front valance on.

20200606_131103 by flat4fanatic, on Flickr

Drivers side inner sill/floor/companion bin to do replace on the mini hopefully this week, then onto finishing the seam/ replace bottom of a post/ rear door to wing panel on this.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was the Polio for sale on Faceache? If so, bargain! Looked a great buy.
:)
yep, literally around the corner which is why I got tempted. Not as good as it looks - rad, mastercylinder, bit of paint tidying but not bad at all, never been welded and lots of new bits inc tank, brake pipes etc.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts