Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition barrel on my 1974 camper is in bits, just wondered if there is any other way of getting a new ignition barrel to match the rest of the locks. A locksmith told me that if you can get a pin set then you can sort it but they don't seem to make/have the pin sets anymore.

Just wanted to check that there wasn't another trick that I don't know about, or whether the only way is to change all the locks from a scrapped camper?

Also any advice on how you remove an ignition barrel from a 1974 bay?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I've seen a friend make a random camper lock match his key. He took the barrel to pieces and fettled with the tiny things that make contact with the surface ridge of the key.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Send me you're email address, I have a document that might help, which tells you how to remove the barrels and make them all work off one key.

Trev

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Ok i've done this a few times on other makes of veh

you have to strip the lock down remove the pins (which make contact with the key) then replace them in the order that fits the key you want to use!

It's not easy and will take some time to get right as it can be an ass to do cos the pins which fit on both side of the lock fall out so best to do it on with the lock on it's face/end or you could use bluetact to hold the pins in then remove once it turns ok

hope this helps :D

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys.

Strangely I put my key that I use for all the locks on the doors into the new ignition barrel that I bought and it works! The key that goes with the ignition barrel is much bigger and won't even fit in the locks for the doors.

I don't know whether to be happy or worried.

My van is 1974 but there is no lock on the engine lid, only a push button, was that standard for that year? Should there also be a locking petrol cap for the 1974 model?

Still not quite sure how the whole barrel comes out the ignition lock, as I can't see any screws holding it in place...?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts