Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a targa bug that has been lowered significantly.

Other than ride quality and scraping on speed bumps, does it have any negative issues for the "well being" of the rest of the car? eg do the shocks need changing more frequently?

i'm pretty new to this and may be asking a stupid question....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If it's really low at the back, the bearings might go more often as the axle tubes are facing upwards (meaning oil can't lubricate the bearings).

All suspension components are under more stress when they're lowered, so you just have to keep check on everything and keep it working well.

·
Registered
45,845 Posts
i have no problems, but can say if you see a ratchet strap of a lorry in the middle of the lane, go round it :crazy:

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,859 Posts
TomF said:
If it's really low at the back, the bearings might go more often as the axle tubes are facing upwards (meaning oil can't lubricate the bearings).

All suspension components are under more stress when they're lowered, so you just have to keep check on everything and keep it working well.
If you're going more than one spline at the rear, pack the rear bearings with bearing grease, or use a friction reducer additive like Activ8. The bearings will last a very, very long time.

The balljoints on 66 onwards bugs are placed under more stress, so you should use dropped spindles when lowering a car significantly. You should be using shorter lowered shocks on a lowered car anyway. There is no more stress created by lowering on king and linkpin setups.

Anyone can lower a car, but the key to a good lowering job is the setup. If the car is set up right, it can handle better than stock.

·
Registered
722 Posts
make sure the track rods aren't rubbing on the fuel tank! took me ages to work out where my petrol was going....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts