Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into work today the plan was to lower the rear of my bug by 2/3 splines only got round to doing one side put the wheel back on afterwards now it looks higher than before on that side so have i highered it or do i need to do the other side to see if it settles down oh i turned it anti clockwise three splines on the near side any help would be great!!!! kev..

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
both ends of the torsion bars have splines on, if you turn the inside one way and the spring plate the other by accident it would sit higher.

3 splines is a lot to go on one end! if you mix and match your splines apropriatly you can lower it half inch at the time, if you have a haynes manual, have a look in there as im sure thats where it explains by how many degrees/how much raise/lower you get from how many splines.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laurence Fletcher said:
Look here for splines to inches lowered conversion:
http://www.bugbabe.co.uk/year_age.html#howlow
still dont get it !!!! all i did to mine was remove the spring plate off the torsion tube and moved it round anti clockwise 3 splines then bolted it all back together again dont understand this inner/outer spline thing mine has splines on the end of the torsion bar didnt see any others!!!!:(

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
The torsion bar has splines on each end. You have one torsion bar for each rear wheel.

The inner and outer ends have diferent numbers of splines.

The inner end locates in a block in the centre of the tube (in the middle of the car) so unless you pulled the torsion bar completley out of the car, you wouldn't see the inner splines. If you did pull the torsion bar out far enough to release the splines from the centre block, then you will have lost the setting and you'll have to refer to the haynes manual, set them back to the stock angle, then start again from there.

If (after rolling the car backwards and forwards to settle the suspension) the side you have altered is still way higher than when you began, you have probably turned the spring plate the wrong direction.

Dropping 1 outer spline on the rear is normally enough for most people on a daily driver car. 2 splines is normally for people who are more bothered about looking "cool" or following the cal look "scene" than having a practical daily driver car, and who are prepared to put up with some damage to the underside of their cars.
3 spline drops will give you very little ground clearance at all, will make the car handle badly, ground out at almost every oppurtunity, mean you may have tyre / wheel arch clearance issues / bearings and tyres wearing out prematurley etc. IE - show car territory, look great, just don't try to drive them down the road to your house.

Rant over. :D Deep breath. Feeling better now. :D

Dave.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
elvisisgod said:
speak the obvious-which side did you do ? you said you have only done one side and anti clockwise. if you have done the drivers side you should have gone clockwise (anti clockwise on passenger) :elvis:
passenger side anti clockwise turned 3 outer splines didnt pull the torsion bar out just the spring plate off the end then back on again then reasembled havent moved it just dropped it back on the floor!!!

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
See tomarse's post. ^^^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts