Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My insurance is getting sorted for my mullered iBook.

And they are giving me a cheque rather than a new MacBook.

Would you:

1) Go for a brand new MacBook (the basic one)
2) Go for a used G4 PowerBook (15 or even 17 inch)

There are a few other options... like buy a cheap PC or a cheap G3/G4 iBook (and have spares from my knackered one)

But I'm really torn between 1 & 2?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
spiny said:
Intel Mac, any model :)

thats where my money would go.

I'd still run XP though :)
Ditto just got a MacPro and a 30" Flat Screen - It's the bollocks!!!

Screen is the best ever I can't belive we used to struggle trying to design on 17" monitors! Mac is cool and nice you can use XP as well as OSX but its no faster than its predecessor while running any CS2 programmes. Apparently I will only see the benefit in speed when CS3 is released next spring :(

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The Ross says:

Well, in this case it seems like you're having to trade of between the screen real estate of the older models, and the not insignificant processing power of the new intel macbook, and yeah, its a tough choice. You have to remember that the resolution on the newer macbook is pretty good for its size. Personally, I'd go for that.

hope it helps!!!

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian Burrows said:
I DON'T need XP or any other Microshite product thanks ;)
yeah same here

Manj has got one and is running XP as well as Mac OS and 'why?' was my feeling :D :D :D

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the other replies

will have to wait and see how much money is left after I get both our daily hacks through the MOT

in many ways I wish the insurance company had just got me a new computer rather than given me a cheque

·
Registered
126 Posts
think its much better to get the latest technology, I've got a couple of intel macs and they run the CS stuff pretty damn well, once Universal versions come out then they'll fly!

Was worried about buying first generation new technology when they first appeared, but had no problems at all. Think everything should have been ironed out now....

Screens are smaller, but resolution is the same as the older G4 15inch powerbooks. Maybes look into a refurbished Macbook Pro? There's some bargains on the apple site...

·
Registered
861 Posts
have you got a friend working in a school/education? they might be able to buy you an educational discount priced mac, you can then spend the money you've saved on more memory, apple care plan etc.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've had a G4 Titanium Powerbook for about three years and it does everything I could ever ask of it ñ plus it's the coolest looking laptop ever made!

Having said that, I've just bought a 24in Intel dual-core iMac thingie to take over from my trusty G4 Quicksilver + Formac 19in LCD and have to say the Intel processors are fast and the screen awesome... Runs Quark 6.01 and Photoshop CS no problem and certainly don't notice any drop off in speed that some have said would be the case running 'non-Intel-friendly' software.

Overall, for build quality, Titanium G4 Powerbook.

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dr.dolittle said:
have you got a friend working in a school/education? they might be able to buy you an educational discount priced mac, you can then spend the money you've saved on more memory, apple care plan etc.
I'm in full time higher education and was going to phone them and find out what discount I could get.

:)

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KS said:
I've had a G4 Titanium Powerbook for about three years and it does everything I could ever ask of it ñ plus it's the coolest looking laptop ever made!

Having said that, I've just bought a 24in Intel dual-core iMac thingie to take over from my trusty G4 Quicksilver + Formac 19in LCD and have to say the Intel processors are fast and the screen awesome... Runs Quark 6.01 and Photoshop CS no problem and certainly don't notice any drop off in speed that some have said would be the case running 'non-Intel-friendly' software.

Overall, for build quality, Titanium G4 Powerbook.
Ummm I'm still tempted by a G4... will see how it all goes. The G3 was fast enough and did everything I needed it to do.

And yeah the Titaniums are the best looking ever... that'll piss off PC lovers... I'm so fickle I want one because it looks good :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts