Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I have used a PC my whole graphic design life and before that but i know using Macs is industry standard, I just have never been able to a) afford a hi-spec one b) never had much of a desire to use one as im really happy with my PC

BUT im looking for a new job and alot I have seen want Mac literate applicants so im wondering what the difference is in usuing Macs really.

I know about the operating system reliabilty point and the speed n stuff but im curious what else there is to it and what difficulties I might encounter really.

Cheers guys, its something i really need to understand

Mark

·
Registered
813 Posts
It takes a little getting used to but I got one for xmas last year and it didn't take long to get used to it a little like driving a left hooker say :)

Of course there's no right click button either

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
the thing mac sceptics always point out is

' ooh i could never use that it only has one mouse button'

then they have little argument when you point out that a mouse with two buttons works for contextual menus exactly like it does on a PC.

There is very little you'll struggle to get used to, in fact the Mac OS makes a whole lot more sense, things are where they should be, and new Intel macs will boot in XP as well in case you have any wondows only programs you can't do without.

I say do it, you'll never look back =- i didn't

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
FACT, Macs are easier to use than PC, you'll soon get used to em!

FACT, PC although harder to use, is more flexible.

For 99% of people, a mac will do everything a PC does, and vice versa

BTW, I've used both

·
Registered
818 Posts
Main differences are

Menu bar in same place all the time on a mac
Icons are on the right and not on the left
mouse... just use a PC mouse as long as its USB it should work without the need for any installation of drivers.
No viruses

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ive just got a mini mouse, two click with a rolly thing in the middle.
I had no end of problems with my old PC, my powerbook has been brilliant, its all drag and drop and they seem to be much more secure.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,525 Posts
The home PC has served us well all through uni except I have had to do a fresh xp install at least once every few months and have to keep the virus checker running which slows it down no end.

My work laptop (fast 12 month old PC) is crap and needs a fresh xp install every couple of weeks before it gets itself into reseting loops and blue screen of death mode. Oh and it overheats, usually when Im halfway through teaching a lesson. Its blown one motherboard, had a new HD, the screen has dead pixels and the battery had to be replaced on a company recall due to a fear of them setting on fire!

My sisters old G3 MAC however is about 4 years old and second hand, it looks awesome, never crashes, has never needed to have OSX wiped, its never had a virus and probably never will and its still fast as F***. IT JUST WORKS !

Thats what it boils down to, MACS aren't anything revolutionary they just work and do their job.

Adrian

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Once you had Mac, you never go back (I think thats how it goes) I had to learn to use Macs when I went to study Graphic Design at college and I've never looked back. Personally its the little details that I love: The animated windows, expose, all the iProgrammes that come as standard that just work together with out asking questions, and it just looks cool as a computer. Its a similar love to that of a Beetle for me.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Virus etc are only more of a threat to PC's cos they are dominant, you're not gonna target 10% if you're the sort of idiot who scripts virri, you're gonna aim for the masses.

To be fair, free programs like Grisoft AVG Free, Ewido Antispy etc all do a pretty good job of keeping a PC secure.

I think if you're really techy minded, you can keep a PC as secure as a Mac, but if you're more the creative type and want to channel all your energy into designing, than a mac is probably better suited as there's less "other stuff" to worry about.

As said before, Macs are as simple to use as a PC on XP, infact, they're easier, just "different" :)

·
Banned
12,512 Posts
Mac. I use a PC *spit* at work and a Mac at home. Mac's are simpler to use (just drag stuff around), more aesthetically pleasing (bouncey icons and 'swooshing' folders) and constant updates for virus protection and itunes etc.

I have no problem with the single mouse button, in fact the PC mouse pisses me off as I keep clicking right button by mistake causing bloody menus everywhere.

I don't use this machine to it's full potential by any means but even for the simplest tasks it's just better than the PC.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
elajf1 said:
My work laptop (fast 12 month old PC) is crap and needs a fresh xp install every couple of weeks before it gets itself into reseting loops and blue screen of death mode. Oh and it overheats, usually when Im halfway through teaching a lesson. Its blown one motherboard, had a new HD, the screen has dead pixels and the battery had to be replaced on a company recall due to a fear of them setting on fire!

Adrian
I'd put that down to cheap hardware personally.

Funnily enough, we have no problems with Dell machines here (I assume you're on about a Dell/Sony hybrid laptop by the battery comments!)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
girlofleisure said:
I don't use this machine to it's full potential by any means but even for the simplest tasks it's just better than the PC.
I wouldn't say better, easier, yes, but not better....

Understand where you are coming from though.

My OS of choice is actually Ubuntu Linux, and that's very MAC OSesque

I tend to use XP for browsing and web work though, as once you're in a browser, they're all the same :)

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,525 Posts
Work all run Dell desktops, we have all been issued with Fujitsu sorry FuSHITsu laptops. We also run a shitty RM network (about as unproductive as a network can be) but thats schools for you. Ive been working on a shift to windows networking and I think I am winning the battle slowly.

I will get a Mac mini soon when I get my arse into gear.

Adrian

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use both and have very few problems moving between them..

def prefer the mac. think the biggest difference is the operating system being made to suit the particular hardware which is in the machine, opposed to many many different manufacturers making cheap hardware which windows has to try and get working together!

have used an old powerbook for live gigs for about 4 years now, had it knocked off tables, drinks spilt on it, all sorts of abuse and it still goes really strong!

You'll not have a problem switching to Mac nowadays!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
wedgedout said:
Virus etc are only more of a threat to PC's cos they are dominant, you're not gonna target 10% if you're the sort of idiot who scripts virri, you're gonna aim for the masses.
This is true but also i think the Unix based file system a Mac uses is inherently stronger than the windows system (don't ask me for details how - i just read it somewhere once)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
wedgedout said:
I think if you're really techy minded, you can keep a PC as secure as a Mac, but if you're more the creative type and want to channel all your energy into designing, than a mac is probably better suited as there's less "other stuff" to worry about.
And you can use the power from your processor to run applications that you want to, rather than using it for anti virus stuff

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about OSX (though I've started playing with the idea of getting myself a mac - despite the expense) but I too heard about the difference in security.

Essentially it comes down to the security model used. On a PC, if one user account gets a virus - the whole computer is stuffed. it's much harder to have that happen under the arguably more robust systems (which I believe OSX uses) which mean getting a virus on one account will screw that account, but not necessarily all the others.

One thing to be wary of is the hype around macs.
"Macs never crash" is one or the most ludicrous I've heard so far. Closely followed by "They can't get a virus"
Obviously the latter is only down to dominance (as has been mentioned) and having actually sat in front of a mac and watched it crash - you can bet the former isn't true either.

They are more stable though.

Have a look at this video for a bit of a giggle.
The guy who created it is a complete mac NUT. He's used just about every macintosh computer ever made, including one that was never released to the public. It's more of an attack on the "switch" campaign that's been running in the US.

As a side note - does anyone know a good website detailing the types of mac available, the differences between and application of them?
I do want a mac, but have no idea where to start.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts