Volkszone Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard on the news that her parents are having an audience with the pope.

Now I feel sorry for the parents they must be going through hell but it's their own fault (I know some people don't want to hear that), they should have been looking after their child or paid someone to look after their child.

Every day this story is on the news or in the papers. How many children go missing in the world every day why has this one girl made so much news?

Plus is there going to be an apology to that bloke who was branded a child molesting paedophile by the Sun/Mirror with no evidence.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
funstuie said:
How many children go missing in the world every day
We can only ever wonder cos of what never gets properly reported, especially when you think about what goes in many third world countries and illegal trades using child labour.

·
In Mortal Danger.
18,874 Posts
I agree, somewhat. If she had been from a poor family or had been from an ethnic minority would the story have had as much coverage? I doubt it.

I do however feel very sorry for the parents, I dont know how they are coping with such guilt.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sushi said:
I agree, somewhat. If she had been from a poor family or had been from an ethnic minority would the story have had as much coverage? I doubt it.

I do however feel very sorry for the parents, I dont know how they are coping with such guilt.
I reckon the same. If it had of been some lower income family on a holiday in magaluf and the parents where at the local pub the press would have tore them a new one. This family fits the middle England stereotype perfectly.

They seem to be coping with their newfound fame quite well.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
funstuie said:
I reckon the same. If it had of been some lower income family on a holiday in magaluf and the parents where at the local pub the press would have tore them a new one. This family fits the middle England stereotype perfectly.

They seem to be coping with their newfound fame quite well.
Agreed, tragic thing to happen but there's so much sh*t going on in the world......the 'War' in Iraq for example, why should this take centre stage when entire nations are being ripped up and social unrest is being created?

No one has catagorically 'Blamed' the parents, if it had happened in the UK I'm sure social services would of been keen to get involved. You just don't leave children that young on their own, rant over! :hangloose :D

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
The BBC must have spent a fortune by now "covering" the event, and that's what it is. Do we really need blow by blow updates from a correspondent standing by the police line of tape, just to know that there's no news? At the outset it was taking 10+ mins out of a 30 minute slot at 6.00 pm or 10.00 pm.

Over a year ago the BBC reported that over 70,000 people (perhaps just 30% of the actual figure) had died in Darfur. When was that the top item in the evening news?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
artist said:
The BBC must have spent a fortune by now "covering" the event, and that's what it is. Do we really need blow by blow updates from a correspondent standing by the police line of tape, just to know that there's no news? At the outset it was taking 10+ mins out of a 30 minute slot at 6.00 pm or 10.00 pm.

Over a year ago the BBC reported that over 70,000 people (perhaps just 30% of the actual figure) had died in Darfur. When was that the top item in the evening news?
The BBC seem to have a habit of getting priorities wrong, I was watching the news a few months back....the 13th (I think it was) British soldier killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq that month, the report lasted for about 10mins. Commanding officers interviewed, government ministers etc.... after the report they litterally 'mentioned' that a suicide bomber had killed 53 people in a market in Iraq!
I know this isn't the attitude to have but soldiers go to war and they know that dying is a possibility, but civilians just trying to buy something to eat?!!!! Is one British soldier more important than 53 Iraqi's? Not really sending out the right messages here are we? :rolleyes:

·
In Mortal Danger.
18,874 Posts
They do seem to have been let off very lightly. The got a great deal of support from the press then there seemed to be a bit of a backlash, now they have everyone on their sides again.

They made a huge error of judgement, and I'm not saying I want them lynched or anything, but I do think they should be more accountable. But then on the otherhand, I think about how much guilt they are carrying, maybe that's punishment enough.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
As the mother of a three year old girl, I can't imagine what those people must be going through ....

BUT I agree, whatever made them think that it's ok to go and leave the children on their own beggers belief. When you've got children, you go out to dinner early with them, go home, put them to bed and maybe open a bottle of wine. Your life completely changes. I've been to Spain with my little one and if we were by the pool and she fell asleep, I wouldn't have even left her sleeping on her own in a ground floor apartment next to the pool just in case something happened to her!

You're right about the class thing too unfortunately :mad:

My parents used to put me to bed and bugger off out when I was young and we used to go on holiday to Malta - it was the early 70s!!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dungbug said:
No one has catagorically 'Blamed' the parents, if it had happened in the UK I'm sure social services would of been keen to get involved. You just don't leave children that young on their own, rant over! :hangloose :D
I blame the parents. It's tragic what has happened to this poor girl but I now think the parents (and media) are clinging to the abduction storyline as it's probably unthinkable that she just got up in the night and wandered off and fell down a hole or something.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
artist said:

Not just the BBC, but ITV News are just the same. I had a terrific rant the other week when they not only named a suspect, but also interviewed friends of his and covered his life history in their bulletins. Totally out of order IMO - and that's without knowing whether that person was guilty or not.

They're running with this story because they think that people are more interested in this little girl than people suffering the effects of famine and war in far away countries.

I have to be blunt and say I'm not totally engrossed by this news story. It's all very sad of course, but it's not keeping me awake nights.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
danny allen said:
and there was me thinking people might be worried about the wellfare of a lost/kidnapped child :(

who cares why shes lost, surely the main thing is to find her ?
I hope she is found alive and well but this is not the only child who has gone missing yet there is an unbelievable amount of publicity around this one most of which will be no help at all in finding her.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
as a mum of 3 little girls i just dont know how they carry on, the fact that she's gone through there own carlessness would just make it worse,

I'v never understood how the parents of missing kids can do all the tv stuff, I think I'd have to be put away for mine and everyone elses safety,

my girls havnt been out of the house alone since she was taken, i think i might lift the ban when there about 37!!!

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
clarewizard1 said:
as a mum of 3 little girls i just dont know how they carry on, the fact that she's gone through there own carlessness would just make it worse,

I'v never understood how the parents of missing kids can do all the tv stuff, I think I'd have to be put away for mine and everyone elses safety,

my girls havnt been out of the house alone since she was taken, i think i might lift the ban when there about 37!!!
I've been amazed to still see parents with their little kids out in town and the kid wanders off. Do people not learn anything? I'm not saying to keep kids under lock and key, but letting them wander off out of sight in shops and shopping centres requires a head examination IMO. Reigns I say, reigns!!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
invalidusername said:
I've been amazed to still see parents with their little kids out in town and the kid wanders off. Do people not learn anything? I'm not saying to keep kids under lock and key, but letting them wander off out of sight in shops and shopping centres requires a head examination IMO. Reigns I say, reigns!!
its true, the road next to where i work theres little ones out in the evening playin on the road, there about 4!!!!!!
I just dont get it, do the parents just not care or is it a case of, it'l never happen to me!!!!

I know i wont take the risk,

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
itfczx9r said:
i always used to have to wear reins when i was a kid!
i hated it when mine grow out of there buggys cuz they seemed much safer in there, I put um on reins, that was fun, 4 year old walking and double buggy!!!

god i'm glad i'v left that behind!!!

1 - 20 of 256 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.