Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im going to buy my own setup to install as it appeas this is by far the cheaper option. I just wanted to clarify what i needed!

Male socket in van
2.5mm 3 core cabling ?
Some earth cable?
What RCD do i need to handle two twin plug sockets?

We're also installing a lesiure battery. When hooked upto to 240v power, i'd like that to feed into the battery some how so we're not draining the lesiure battery unneccesarily, needing to charge it etc. Would i have to go for one of the 240v-12v reducer things or something :confused:

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If you want to charge your leisure battery while you have the mains hookup plugged in, you could try wiring in a small trickle charger I suppose? I bought a car/motorbike charger from aldi for about a tenner.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm just in the process of doing this too.

I went for a 13amp Fused RCD Spur - mainly due to it being so much smaller than a little consumer unit. I've been told that 1.5mm cable should be ok too for feeding a double socket.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just in the process of doing this too.

I went for a 13amp Fused RCD Spur - mainly due to it being so much smaller than a little consumer unit. I've been told that 1.5mm cable should be ok too for feeding a double socket.
Hi matt, would that be sufficient for 2 double sockets? Do you have a link for it?

thanks

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll prob use the 2.5 for the mains hook up, and perhaps 1.5 for the internal stuff. Im interested in what RCD etc i'll need for my twin sockets as i think thats the only sticking point for moi :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
The IEE regulations are quite complicated.

You can run a radial circuit (a chain) no probs in 1.5mm. You should use a 16A MCB on this.

If you run a ringmain (a loop) you should use 2.5mm cable and can use a 32A MCB.

As for RCD, run the supply from your normal RCD protected circuit. The current regulations demand a RCD for any socket on a ground floor.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've just fitted a hook up to my bay. I used a 16A In-line RCD connected to a 13A fused spur that feeds 2 double sockets. All wired in 2.5mm cable (i used an old extension lead cable i had laying around)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I used one of these:

I then ran a length of Arctic cable from the engine bay into the gap underneath the RNR bed for two 13-Amp sockets. This also fed the fridge behind the passenger seat.

It might seem a little bit of overkill but it also provides two extra sockets for other peeps to use if required (and I also carry an extension lead when camping)......

It also means that you can connect to your own mains via said extension lead. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is the fused RCD that I've used. I guess it depends on what appliances you will be running - I don't see my usage being that high so this will do for me. if you think you will be using "heavy" devices then it may be worth seeking an alternative. But bear in mind what ampage the average campsites can provide in the first place.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers, adds a liitle more light!

Anyone know anythin about RCD's and enclosures along with the 17th edition wiring regs? :p

Im told i need a double pole rcd? This is all doing my nut in lol

Any more help would be great!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have done this and its quite easy really, use 2.5mm cabe in an extension lead type cable as its stronger and multi flexible conductor, use grommets on all holes cut, earth bond the van back to your earth supply, double pole means it switches off both parts of your feed, as in live and neautral the spur thing you have a picture of is the cheapest way of going, site supplies are usually low to protect their supply from overloading, so two sockets are fine but low power toaster and hairdryer,etc will be needed, you can get a trickle charger of about 1A output that you can feed to your battery, you can buy the cable for your extension site lead and plugs from the electrical wholesaler. The alternative is a mini consumer unit with rcd and trips to feed sockets and lights, this is dearer but a better quality install. hope this helps and does not confuse.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, the inlet socket that runs power to the consumer unit...does this need to be able to take16mm cabling? I've been having a look at my consumer unit, and im not sure how it will work with 2.5mm 3 core cable (as in live,earth,netural)..??

·
Registered
12 Posts
What about 'stealth' fitting the socket on the outside of the bus? There was a T4 recently in VW Camper & Bus that had the socket mounted behind the rear fog light - no holes or unsightly fitting on the side of the van.

I have a T25 - has anyone seen or figured out a clever place to mount the external socket without cutting a hole in the side panel? Similar ideas for a late bay welcome...

·
Registered
490 Posts
What about 'stealth' fitting the socket on the outside of the bus? There was a T4 recently in VW Camper & Bus that had the socket mounted behind the rear fog light - no holes or unsightly fitting on the side of the van.

I have a T25 - has anyone seen or figured out a clever place to mount the external socket without cutting a hole in the side panel? Similar ideas for a late bay welcome...
Mines in the engine bay.

·
Registered
676 Posts
my friends is in the engine bay, then using a mini consumer unit for the 240v and a 12v caravan ZIG unit....
makes for a sweet and safe install.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts