Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Oh man im having massive computer problems today, so much so that I am having to be on my mums laptop.

Turned my laptop off today to come home, got home and Skpye started running at 99% and then my start panel went all blank and I couldnt acces anything. Managed to shut down skype and take it off my start up items through CTRL ALT DEL, and I could browse through there no problem at all but my desktop and everything on it , menus, right click yadda yadda yadda is completely knackered and its running DOG slow and thing is that Dr Watson and DWWIN.exe are constantly running whenever I click something......

I have been geting loads of spam recently, I never download anything ro open it but do you think this is virus orientated or something else?

I just can't do anything with my computer at all, its so frustrating!!!!
:mad:
Any ideas as to what it is I can do here?

Mark

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Can you proivde a bit more info such what OS you're using, ram, cpu etc and maybe have a look in the processes list on Task Manager (ctrl alt del) to see if anything hoooooge is taking up your resources

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ExiledWool said:
Can you proivde a bit more info such what OS you're using, ram, cpu etc and maybe have a look in the processes list on Task Manager (ctrl alt del) to see if anything hoooooge is taking up your resources
Hi dude

Am using Windowws XP service pack 2

1.6GHZ Mobile Processor Thingy

512mb Ram

Looked in Task Menu and all I see is this DWWIN.exe and Dr Watson running all the time, thats has nmever happened to me before......

If I browse through New Tasks I can browse through my computer no problem at all - it just seems to be Explorer and the Desktop that seems to be freezing - any clues?

Cheers guys

Mark

·
Registered
646 Posts
i had a smiliar problem on my pc a while agao and could find a virus so in the end i created a new profile and that seemed to do the trick.

does it happen if you log on as administrator?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must admit I havent tried it as an administrator - will have to try that way and see what happens - Do I lose everything I have on the other profile though if I do that or will I be abel to access it? Will try creating a new profile too - its just hard cos as soon as it boot up it just runs MASSIVELY slowly and crashes so it hard to do anything really. Ive been trying to do a system restore for the past 24r hours and get nowhere.

Went to that Doxdesk - where do I go to get to the advice section?

Cheers guys, youve all been massively helpful

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Sounds like you need to back up your files and do a complete format/reinstall. Even if you do fix it, it'll never run well.

·
Banned
597 Posts
Right

DrWatson is a virus. I had it on mine, it alters your registry after a while. My Zone Alarm testing units said it was safe, so for a while I let it run, til, when I wanted to open a file, it went into search.

Naturely, I got pissed, and deleted it! I then spent the next day and a half finding the registry that it'd deleted, and putting it back in.

So much for online security. I suspect I got it from opening a spam message....

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Hendrixmaster said:
Right

DrWatson is a virus. I had it on mine, it alters your registry after a while. My Zone Alarm testing units said it was safe, so for a while I let it run, til, when I wanted to open a file, it went into search.

Naturely, I got pissed, and deleted it! I then spent the next day and a half finding the registry that it'd deleted, and putting it back in.

hahahahahaha, Dr Waton is NOT a virus.

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
Hendrixmaster said:
Right

You really need to do some reading up. :rolleyes:

Elementary my dear (Dr) Watson

·
Premium Member
7,831 Posts
And as I posted on another thread...

Howard66 said:
Alternatively, here are some recommended and totally free protection softwares:

For a decent Antivirus, AVG Free Antivirus: http://free.grisoft.com/
Spywareblaster to block potential spyware: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Spyware scanning and removal:
Windows Defender: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Ad-Aware: http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html

I personally use all of these and have never had a problem :)
Howard66 said:
Also don't forget your firewall, it is included with XP SP2, also make sure ALL windows updates are installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts