Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange title - I apologise.

I have no idea if anyone will contribute to this but I have been thinking about making a beetle (or a bus for that matter) better than VW made it.

Now engines have been done to death, performance wise.

I'm thinking about daily drivers - so you might want to consider :

Handling
Braking
Steering
Heat
ICE
Interior comfort (seats etc)

and engine bits might include :

Oil filters
Cooling
Electronic ignition

What's made the difference on your bug ?

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Firstly, this comes up often, just have a look around at all the engine upgrades, lowering etc that happens. Its easy enough to make a bug very drivable during normal traffic

Handling - lower it a bit, uprated shocks, such as GAS shocks - much cheaper than they were back then.
Fatter tyres and anti roll bars front and back. Camber compensator if its a swing axle at the back, or an IRS conversion

Braking - There are SOOOO many people uprating brakes. Disk fronts - as per later VWs. Type 3 rear drums, porsche disks all around... Run a search on brakes on here

Steering - Very much the same as handling, uprated steering damper and PAS can be fitted. I think the "chickesplit" has this planned... Again run a search

Heat - It works if its all there and not rusted though. It is more than adequate if working

ICE - CD player, 6x9s on the parcel shelf, speaker kick pods.....

Interior comfort (seats etc) - Anything can pretty much be made to fit

and engine bits might include : - A different engine maybe...

Oil filters - Full flow oil
Cooling - Full flow oil
Electronic ignition - You can buy these kits from pretty much anywhere.

Run searches on here. Pretty much ALL the things you are asking about people have done. check the readers rides bits aswell. Also search the net.

Do some homework and all of these issues will become apparent. it just takes some time reading

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that reply.

Anyone else think any different ?

Are 1303's a better daily driver option ?

Presumably dropped spindles are the best bet for comfy(ish) lowering ?

Would a slightly narrowed beam be necessary when using the spindles (and getting proper tyres and no wing rub) ?

My last (and indeed only) bug ran ok at stock height and was steady speed wise with a 1600 TP with ICTs

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
1303's are a more modern car, the IRS is where the difference is. If you look at most of the performance cars in Deutschland they are using semi-auto a chassis - IRS rear and beam front.

Drop spindles are the better way to go for lowering IMHO as you can use stock length shocks and retain all the travel. Narrowed beams is a topic that came up recently - have a look back a bit on the mech tech. thread. I think the general concensus was that they are aesthetic and that the drivability isn't fantastic on them, however if it was only a minor narrowing it may be ok. Perhaps slightly wider or flared wings would be a better, and possibly cheaper in the long run, solution.
Drop spindles add about 1/2" per side to the track. If you are plannig to put disks on the front too it may be more viable to narrow the beam slightly

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I built an updated bug in the 90s and it was great to drive and live with as a daily. trouble is that I got carried away with it and it became more suitable for strip than street.

The plan did start as "make a usable car":

67 base car
front disks
GT box
1600 with electrionic ignition, full flow oil and filter, mild head port, Engle 100, 4 into 1 manifold and Euro hideaway exhaust. Webber Progressive carb
Stock rear, beam adjuster up front. Slightly stiffer front shocks, stock at the back.
Recaro seats, extra sound deadening in the roof and doors
Trigger shifter, leather steering wheel.

Kept the stock heat exchangers.

Drove it every day, even through some cold German winters. kept up with traffic and stopped like a modern car too. A real pleasure to drive.

Then I put a 1776 in it.....................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts