Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mrs was offered a job today in the centre of Manchester. We had been looking around already for places but I though as there are quite a few people on here from up there I would ask your opinion.

We have been told Prestwich and Didsbury are nice but are there any other areas we could search in?

It needs to be close to the centre but I would also like a garage so no city centre flats. Although we would like to be able to get back easily from the centre on a night out.

I suppose I need to find a new job too

·
ready for the off....
36,619 Posts
Fallowfield is reasonable and not too shoddy - big houses and garages with them :) Lots of other suburbs but it depends where and how you want to live ;)

We live at Poynton which is just a 2 minute train journey away but house prices are steeper than Mcr. Hazel Grove and Stockport are a bit cheaper with good trains too.

Give me a bell over the weekend for more info if you like

Paul - 077252 12753

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers matey!

Fallowfield looks quite good as it's a lot closer than the other places we have looked at.

I'm right in thinking there is a good VW scene in the area?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Prestwich and Didsbury are (or at least were) serious money mate ;) Depends what your after I guess? how far you're prepared to commute and what your budget is? ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
i chuffin love Manchester. If a job came up i'd move there tomorrow. Well done on the new job (to the Mrs).. i'll buy you both a pint in The Temple of Convenience. :)

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
974 Posts
Worsley, Boothstown, Astley. I can reccomend these areas whatever house budget your on. As said earlier Didsbury is seriuos money, can,t comment on Prestwich as it had a bit of a reputation a few years back (hopefully I don,t cause offence to Prestwich people) I,m not sure what it,s like now.
Good luck Andy

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Well i live between Prestwich and Manchester's in a place called Broughton. Some people call it rough as old boots but i've never had a problem. I own a 5 bedroom double garage house and i bought it for peanuts. There are lots of new developments being built and it's only 5 mins north of the city.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
I'd suggest anywhere along the metrolink.
On the north side
Prestwich would be my prefered location but i'm bias.;).
Whitefield is okay, any further out and it starts getting expensive in a taxi if you miss the last tram.
On the south side i'd opt for Altringham or Sale, give Stretford a miss. Sorry Stretford, it's my opinion.:D

Fallowfield/Didsbury both fine but pricy (and studenty). These aren't on the metrolink but there's more buses than you can shake a stick at.

Do you want a garage to put a car in or to fill with 'useful car bits you may need one day'? If it's just a car there are plenty of city centre places with underground/secure parking. They've massively overdeveloped and bargains can be had.

What's your budget? Buy or rent?
How often do you want to go out to town?
How far in minutes is the maximum from the centre.
Etc, etc..

I've lived in Prestwich for 15 years and never heard about the reputation it's got (Mentioned above). The only trouble you get is on 'derby days' but that's got to happen countrywide, right?

Good Luck and remember, if you think it's been raining a lot where you live this summer, we consider that weather as normal.:D

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers guys. We are looking to rent and money wise we don't really want to go over about £900 a month.

Her job is right in the centre so there is no point being miles out. I want the garage for storing my tools and cleaning up parts and stuff.

The weather does concern me and I have never really connected with Manchester when I have worked up there before, I always saw myself in London but it's not to be.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Manchester is the centre of the known universe.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
don't move round stockport to many crazy vdub people round them parts (some say serial vdub buyers):eek:;):D

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Prestwich is trying hard to be good and Fallowfields looks good but can be shite particularly when the muggers move back in October to prey on the freshers, despite the high profile policing. We experienced plenty of trouble in both areas, inluding some unfortunate student being raped and mugged in our front garden in Prestwich. Could just have been bad luck but we moved out to Sale, house prices were about the same, and never looked back. It's on the metrolink and I used to bike into work on Deansgate, mostly on the canal towpath- about 6 miles, 20 minutes.

When you look at the different areas always ask the people living there what it's like- it can vary hugely from street to street in Manc, and somewhere like Sale could be better in the long run. And, vendors are prepared to haggle on price at the moment so what it says in the estate agents is only a guide- nice ground floor flat with garage in private grounds going near me on Brooklands Road in Sale at the mo;)

·
Somewhere else...........
3,418 Posts
My guide to the areas in/around manchester...

Manchester Town Centre - A nice place to visit/live these days
Salford Quays - Full of single up thier ass business men/women
Moss Side - Not an area to live or venture into day/night
Hulme - You can polish a turd....but it will always be a turd
Harpurhey - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Moston - Fine if you ever wanted to be in a real life shameless - Really Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer (I Used to live there!)
Prestwich/Whitefield - Well overated - average area but Prices driven up artificially (by as much as 40%) as its a Big Jewish Area
Crumpsall - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Cheetham Hill - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Clayton - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Openshaw - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Beswick - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Castlefield - ok if you want to live in the city.
Old Trafford - Run down and hell on match days - Depending on the wind it smells of shit form the treatment works.
Bowdon - For the super rich only.
Rusholme - Good for a curry....certainly not to live.
Fallowfield - Good for a Beer before you go to Rusholme. Big student area - also has its far share of muggings/murders/rapes
Withington - Look at the Emperors new clothes arent they nice;)
Burnage - its on the edge of didsbury so the deluded are buying ex-council housing to say they live in "east didsbury" - good for the locals who cant wait to get out:lol:
Didsbury - Nice for a night out/meal - overrated to live in, its been made "cool" by people who have more money then sence (Ok to rent but do not buy in this area;))
Chorlton - Look at the emporers Emperors new clothes arent they nice;)
Longsight - O dear
Levenshulme - No, No, No!
Swinton - Average - not great really
Broughton - Below Average
Pendlebury - Average
Salford - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Ordsall - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Worsley/Boothstown - Look at the emporers Emperors new clothes arent they nice;) (This area took off after a few footballers moved in - They dont live there any more and people are beginning to see that a few nice houses got built on the edge of chaos and pie eating territory)
Eccles - - Bad Area, Steer Well Cleer
Stretford - Run down and hell on match days - Depending on the wind, it smells of shit from the treatment works.
Urmston - Most Days it smells of shit from the treatment works.
Flixdon - Most Days it smells of shit from the treatment works.
Irlam - Most Days it smells of shit from the treatment works.
Sale - Ok. Some nice houses but lots of motorway noise.
Altrincham - Nice Area - Good transport to town
Timperley - Nice Area
Lymm - V Nice - you can in the countryside with the towns of warrington/manchester relitively on your doorstep.
Hale Barns - V Expensive A notch below Bowdon
Wythenshawe - Fine if you ever wanted to be in a real life shameless
Cheadle Hulme - Nice Area - Great transport links (Station is on the main line)
Bramhall - V Nice area - Good Transport Links
Hazel Grove - Nice Area, on the edge of countryside - A6 into manchester a nightmare.
Poynton - Nice Area, on the edge of countryside - A6 into manchester a nightmare.
Woodford - V Nice Area
Wilmslow - For the rich only.
Alderley Edge - For the super rich only.
Prestbury- For the mega super rich only.
Hyde - Average
Ashton - Below Average...Not Great really.
Denton - Below Average...not great really.
Audenshaw - Below Average...not great really.
Dukinfield - Below Average...not great really.
Droylsden - Below Average...not great really.
Failsworth - Below Average...not great really.
Middleton - Steer Clear bad area
Blackley - Steer Clear bad area
Bury - Has some nice areas, particularly heading out the the hills.

Generally if you head south of manchester and avoid wythenshaw you should be ok......thats what i would do.....and end up in cornwall:lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts