Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just built an engine pretty much from scratch. When putting it together I purchased a new single port mainfold and a new 31pcit carb. Now they are both on the car I find the side of the carb (part of the linkage) just fouls the dynamo.

The dynamo presumably cant move and is a standard size - its off a 72 Beetle. The carb is the same as the one on my other beetle and that fits and seems to have plenty of clearance.

Everything therefore points to the up-pipe on the manifold being slightly too far over towards the dynamo. Has anyone heard of this before? As I say its a brand new manifold.

Or, has anyone got any other ideas of what is potentially wrong here?

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
happened to me on my camper, im not saying you should do this but I ended up fileing a small bit of the Alternator away so that it had clearance. I think now there is a kit available to raise the carb or turn the linkage the other way, ive seen this done too. Not 100% sure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Frankly I bought a new manifold from Heritage and though the carb sits nicely next to the alternator, I had quite a bit of trouble getting all the feet to sit nicely on the heads.

A local aircooled mechanic described all after market parts coming in two sizes: too big or too small. They did also point out that often the carb does end up fouling the generator/alternator.

However, as I did not have that problem I'm not sure how you'd fix it...

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Are you sure that it's a dynamo, and not an alternator ?
The carb is different for each, (although the difference is quite subtle), a 'dynamo' carb will foul on an alternator, because the alternator is a bit 'fatter'.
You can modify the carb, it's only the accelerator pump linkage which catches, and swapping those parts for the other ones usually does the trick.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Hi pics might help clarify. On my carb linkage we had to raise how it sits on the carb with a washer. This then cleared the generator... it only needed 2/3 mm.

·
Registered
854 Posts
loosen the manifold boots,
undo nut that supports manifold to engine case,(the one in the centre that you get to from behind dizzy)
slide manifold of the stud, it should move just enough,
put nut on stud, slide manifold back on stud,
secure with new 13mm nut,
jobs a good 'un
;)

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Lazarus Churchyard said:
loosen the manifold boots,
undo nut that supports manifold to engine case,(the one in the centre that you get to from behind dizzy)
slide manifold of the stud, it should move just enough,
put nut on stud, slide manifold back on stud,
secure with new 13mm nut,
jobs a good 'un
;)
Do the pre-heater pipes still line-up with the exhaust ?

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
I had a similar problem on my camper, 34 pict 3 with alternator. There was a link on how to reverse the accelrator pump linkage so it didn't foul the alternator. This just didn't seem to work for me so I made a new linkage at work. Works a treat now.

Can't remember where the link was on the net, may have been the type2.com site.

Adrian

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice guys - I bought a spacer at Slough but the carb then fouled one of the nuts holding the dynamo backing on to the fan housing. Then found an old (genuine) manifold in my loft and pulled the engine and put that on. It now fits perfectly so it was simply the aftermarket manifold I paid £50 for that was not fitting correctly. It only needed a couple of millimeteres. All seems perfect now and I'll be calling the suppliers to ask for a refund on the new one I bought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts