1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any guys on here do and how do you find it
also how old you as im ancient and very infirm
hay not in that way dont be rude :incheek:
saw recently what i thought was pilates but looks like it was ashtonga yoga still looks good though :D

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
^^^ true, ashtanga is hard work, but there are various other less intense 'types', some are more intense than others. It doesn't have to be hard work, and is not intended to be goal orientated or competitive. Ashtange is more of a Western 'push yourself work at it' style I think, which is a bit of an oxymoron for yoga! Give it a go, but maybe steer away from Ashtanga in your case. It's about the only thing physical that doesn't matter what age you are, the longer you do it the better you get regardless of your age.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I do Hatha yoga and Ashtanga-Vinyasa yoga. I'm fortunate in that we have a sports center at work where they run the classes.
It is bloody hard work! The Hatha classes are more gentle (but still hard work) and you'll find that you hold the postures for quite a long time.
Ashtanga-Vinyasa (or "Power Yoga") is very dynamic. You use breathing techniques to raise the heat in your body to help bring on a sweat. It's very powerful and you get an extremely thorough workout from it. I ached for ages after the first time I tried it. I was doing Hatha for about a year before I tried Ashtanga and it did little to prepare me for the physical onslaught I subjected myself to!
It's great though, I've regained the flexibility I lost after I had to give up Karate due to knee injuries and it helps to tone you up without resorting to a gym. Don't be afraid to try Ashtanga first though - just remember not to force yourself into any postures and you should be fine.
Definately get yourself to some classes though rather than getting a book or DVD, etc. Having a teacher there to correct and guide you is invaluable. Once you've done a few and got a feel for it you'll be fine practicing at home.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My soon to be mother-in-law is a very good Dru Yoga instructor. I have tried to get into it but find it a bit too spiritual.
I do pilates which is very similar to yoga without the whole spiritual background. It gives you a very good core strength and helped no end with my marathon training. I have had no back problems since starting pilates and it has knocked over 10 minutes of my cycle time in to work every morning.

Now I suppose that I have left myself open to abuse from all you yoga peeps for comparing pilates to yoga but remember... Mellow... :hug:

·
Registered
846 Posts
No abuse from me! My wife does both and says that a lot of the Pilates moves come straight from yoga.
I also found yoga has helped my mountain biking and running by generally giving me better core strength and improved stamina.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers guys i know what yeh saying i dont mind the physical side its as
although i laugh and joke about being done in im not that bad really
done a fair bit of exersize in past and in my jobs not that long ago i did a walk
round carsington in 2 hours and its about 8 miles round i think
so ill just take it steady and build up as you should with most things

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
dub welder said:
cheers guys i know what yeh saying i dont mind the physical side its as
although i laugh and joke about being done in im not that bad really
done a fair bit of exersize in past and in my jobs not that long ago i did a walk
round carsington in 2 hours and its about 8 miles round i think
so ill just take it steady and build up as you should with most things
I gave it a bit of a go, but decided that I'd probably get into loads of bad habits doing it like that and should probably find an instructor to start with. I did however start to feel a difference in flexibility very quickly.

When life settles down a bit I'm going to try and get into it properly.

How's things anyway dude?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts