Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell if they have ever come across getting a metallic taste in their mouth after driving. Ive only owned this car for a few months & I`m new to VW`s.
I thinking it could be the heat exchangers, but I`ve carried a carbon dioxide test in the car and have had no negative results.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Paul.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,279 Posts
you changing gear with you gob again? what have i told you about that!!!

welcome to the forums dude, i havent a clue what you on about tho....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
daddygadget said:
Can someone please tell if they have ever come across getting a metallic taste in their mouth after driving. Ive only owned this car for a few months & I`m new to VW`s.
I thinking it could be the heat exchangers, but I`ve carried a carbon dioxide test in the car and have had no negative results.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Paul.
when I first got my van my heat exchangers were throwing out loads of rust when the fan came on so you are probably right it will be your heat exchangers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,964 Posts
You may find something like the fan or the generator pulley is catching in the engine bay, and the metal particles are being sucked into the fan, and blown into the car through the heater. If you are worried about fumes, get a carbon Monoxide tester, (you can get cheap 'one time only' chemical reaction ones for testing gas heaters etc from DIY stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol
I`m talking about exhuast fumes. I`m just concered about driving, I don`t want to pass out or poison my family.
I think the taste is coming from the heating??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
You could always freeze your nuts off and turn off the heaters!!!!! Mine aint connected at present and it's bloody cold at night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laurence Fletcher said:
You may find something like the fan or the generator pulley is catching in the engine bay, and the metal particles are being sucked into the fan, and blown into the car through the heater. If you are worried about fumes, get a carbon Monoxide tester, (you can get cheap 'one time only' chemical reaction ones for testing gas heaters etc from DIY stores.
Thanks Laurence, I tryed a carbon dioxide test spot thingy but it check out ok. Its looking like its a process of elimination, would starting with replacing heat exchangers be the first thing to do?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,964 Posts
daddygadget said:
Thanks Laurence, I tryed a carbon dioxide test spot thingy but it check out ok. Its looking like its a process of elimination, would starting with replacing heat exchangers be the first thing to do?
What about Carbon MONOXIDE ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moby5153 said:
Disconnect the heaters or remove the engine>chassis heater pipes temporarily, to eliminate those, and test the charge rate of the battery.
I was hoping to go to Brighton this weekend, (with the windows open) Would I still be able to drive even If I disconnect the heater pipes in the engine bay? Would I need to seal those off?

Other silly questions how do you test the rate of the battery? What equipment would I need to get?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,964 Posts
daddygadget said:
Sorry Laurence, It is a carbon monoxide detector.
that's good, was just concerned about the nasty stuff ;)
If you disconnect the air feed from fan housing to Heat exchanger, you must block the fan housing outlets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
daddygadget said:
Can someone please tell if they have ever come across getting a metallic taste in their mouth after driving. Ive only owned this car for a few months & I`m new to VW`s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Paul.
Have you checked all your suspension bushes?

It might be rattling your fillings out! :D

Sorry, could'nt resist it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laurence Fletcher said:
that's good, was just concerned about the nasty stuff ;)
If you disconnect the air feed from fan housing to Heat exchanger, you must block the fan housing outlets.
Thankyou I will do that Laurence, then I`ll check my heat exchangers and see if they have rusted on the inside. We will see.

Thankyou also to Yellow camper man, Moby5153, yellow spider and lol frampy. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,671 Posts
I know exactly the taste you mean! Totally different to the coppery taste of fear you get when braking in the wet ;-)

Is the battery secure in the battery box? If it's loose it can chafe and kick up the rusty dust in the battery box.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top