Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Seasoned Chat Slut
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So , been having a good look again at mexican beetles (one just popped up for sale yesterday in the next large town for example).

Have of course perused previous threads for buying and running/ not running advice , but figured be handy to have all in one thread and uptodate , newest mexi is 16 years old now 馃槺.

So any do鈥檚 and don鈥檛s ? Specific mexi charms / hair pulling issues etc ?

Thanks, mark.

Retired Mr.Vzi
I think the only real issue with later Mexis is the parts that are specific only to them; catalytic converters, exhausts, engine electronics etc. Aside from that alot of the parts are just off the shelf GSF fodder.

With regard to the engine electronics I think if you鈥檙e planning to purchase a late Mexi you鈥檒l have to be prepared to get VAG com on your laptop and make up a connector so that you can diagnose and reset issues as and when they arise.

Aside from the slight negatives you are rewarded with a very nice driving bug (compared with older stuff) that makes them truly capable dailies.

If I had one wish, it would be that Vw had gone one step further and fitted a five speed 鈥榖ox to properly take advantage of the extra poke and make for a more relaxed/quieter motorway cruising speed.

Happy hunting!
:)

Registered
I'll offer this tip, and it applies to all VAG cars really..

Look it this website: https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

You can find all models, listed by country, and then get access to all the factory parts diagrams and numbers. You can then find the part number and it even tells you which other cars that particular part was fitted to.

It's a VERY useful website :)

Registered
Oh, another thing to be aware of is that the front seats are about an inch or so higher in a Mexi than an older German Bug. Dunno why, but if you're tall it might be an issue.

Retired Mr.Vzi

You can find all models, listed by country, and then get access to all the factory parts diagrams and numbers. You can then find the part number and it even tells you which other cars that particular part was fitted to.

Noted.

Seasoned Chat Slut
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the only real issue with later Mexis is the parts that are specific only to them; catalytic converters, exhausts, engine electronics etc. Aside from that alot of the parts are just off the shelf GSF fodder.

With regard to the engine electronics I think if you're planning to purchase a late Mexi you'll have to be prepared to get VAG com on your laptop and make up a connector so that you can diagnose and reset issues as and when they arise.

Aside from the slight negatives you are rewarded with a very nice driving bug (compared with older stuff) that makes them truly capable dailies.

If I had one wish, it would be that Vw had gone one step further and fitted a five speed 'box to properly take advantage of the extra poke and make for a more relaxed/quieter motorway cruising speed.

Happy hunting!
Yeh a lot of the specific parts aren't cheap either!

Would a generic code reader attach to the cable ?

Seasoned Chat Slut
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, another thing to be aware of is that the front seats are about an inch or so higher in a Mexi than an older German Bug. Dunno why, but if you're tall it might be an issue.
Mm i'm 6ft 3 ..
When you've had enough of it and want to shift it on, drive around Golborne with a For Sale in the window.
Lol second to beetles uk in the amount of mexis passing through

Thanks , will bookmark 👍🏼

Registered
Mm i'm 6ft 3 ..
I'm 6' 2" and whilst it's not uncomfortable or cramped, it definitely feels a bit too high for me.

As far as I can tell, it's just the rear legs of the seat frame that are longer. I suppose you could cut them down but I have looked into it any further.

Registered
I inspected the car that Callaghan is contemplating buying and I must say I was really impressed with the build quality of the Mexican made Beetle. This car was in extremely good condition for a 18 year old car.
The car I tested had low mileage and was still in left hand drive format. The fuel injected engine pulled really well.
I really liked the original interior with modern style seats, covered in cloth with Headrests, it felt really comfortable.
Initially I had reservations about Mexican Beetles over German made cars, but since inspecting and driving this car I have overwhelmingly change my mind and would sincerely recommend ownership of a Mexican Beetle.

Retired Mr.Vzi
I inspected the car that Callaghan is contemplating buying and I must say I was really impressed with the build quality of the Mexican made Beetle. This car was in extremely good condition for a 18 year old car.
The car I tested had low mileage and was still in left hand drive format. The fuel injected engine pulled really well.
I really liked the original interior with modern style seats, covered in cloth with Headrests, it felt really comfortable.
Initially I had reservations about Mexican Beetles over German made cars, but since inspecting and driving this car I have overwhelmingly change my mind and would sincerely recommend ownership of a Mexican Beetle.

Come join us on the dark side.
:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts