Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
i'm going through the disposable gas bottles like a fat kid goes through cake!
anyone know where i can get gas from!
ideally i don't want to pay a fortune through the likes of boc.
what are the alternatives open to me
any help will be greatfully recieved
cheers

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
A lot of pub gas supplies do not use s good as gas now or put stuff in it so peeps cant use it for decent welding, With BOC your looking at about 100 - 150 out lay but then its only 37 notes for a fill up which last a while, It also gives you a lot better welding. I know its harsh but i took the hit and wouldnt go back.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
Yes you'll need a big bottle regulator

I don't do much welding and buy co2 from a local gas suppliers for £14 a bottle and lasts ages (if I don't leave the bottle turned on!)
its more than adequate for a little DIY welding

:)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Commercial argon comes with some CO2 mixed in, usually the choice is between 5% or 20%. The latter is more useful for all round work. At welding temperatures, the CO2 momentarily oxidises and helps the weld to stick when you're working down the side of something; straight CO2 is great for working upside down on your floorpan.
If you've got a decent welder (and I'm not talking about one of those silly little things you can pick up with one hand) get a 5 year agreement with BOC and use the official stuff- you'll need a proper regulator, but the world will want your services, and you'll soon offset the cost.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you'll need a big bottle regulator

I don't do much welding and buy co2 from a local gas suppliers for £14 a bottle and lasts ages (if I don't leave the bottle turned on!)
its more than adequate for a little DIY welding

:)
hello mate
do you need to own a bottle for this or does it include a bottle?

thanks for all the help, more options than i thought

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Commercial argon comes with some CO2 mixed in, usually the choice is between 5% or 20%. The latter is more useful for all round work. At welding temperatures, the CO2 momentarily oxidises and helps the weld to stick when you're working down the side of something; straight CO2 is great for working upside down on your floorpan.
If you've got a decent welder (and I'm not talking about one of those silly little things you can pick up with one hand) get a 5 year agreement with BOC and use the official stuff- you'll need a proper regulator, but the world will want your services, and you'll soon offset the cost.
Thats what i have ( not sure if its 5 years ) but my mig is one of those silly lil ones a migmate SIP 130 T but it loves the gas and so does the welds.

·
Registered
587 Posts
hello mate
do you need to own a bottle for this or does it include a bottle?

thanks for all the help, more options than i thought
You are never allowed to own a bottle (with the exception of those soppy cannisters you get from B&Q)- they always remain the property of whoever you are getting your gas from, unless you've blagged one from a pub. This works in your favour, as they are now pumped up to 230 bar (over 3000 psi) and the supplier keeps 'em tested and safe. You don't actually get your empty bottles refilled, you get the empty one exchanged for one just the same with gas in it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
There are still independent gas suppliers around that will do bottles for a deposit rather than a monthly rental charge. Look in your yellow pages. I get mine from a company called Severn Gas in Worcester. They charge me £25 deposit on the bottle and £25 per fill. That's a bottle approx 2 1/2 feet tall and about 9 inch diameter of CO2/Argon (equivalent to argoshield light from BOC). I reckon its saved me £100 - £150 since I closed my BOC account 18 months ago.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
There are still independent gas suppliers around that will do bottles for a deposit rather than a monthly rental charge. Look in your yellow pages. I get mine from a company called Severn Gas in Worcester. They charge me £25 deposit on the bottle and £25 per fill. That's a bottle approx 2 1/2 feet tall and about 9 inch diameter of CO2/Argon (equivalent to argoshield light from BOC). I reckon its saved me £100 - £150 since I closed my BOC account 18 months ago.
Likewise. Look in you local yellow pages for welding supplies. Mine are only allowed to supply straight CO2 for welding, you can't get argoshield from them, but they are a lot cheaper than BOC.

I trade my bottles (they are the same as pub size ones) for £25 a time, and I have also had them refilled at a local fire extinguisher service company, as they have CO2 tanks and compressors to recharge extinguishers.

You will need the right regulator (machine mart do them).

I wouldn't ever go back to the little bottles, they end up costing a fortune.

Getting Argoshield from BOC would be nice but I can't justify the expense with the amount of welding I do (and sometimes I don't use it for months at a time so I would be paying for bottle rental even when I'm not using it)

Dave.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Likewise. Look in you local yellow pages for welding supplies. Mine are only allowed to supply straight CO2 for welding, you can't get argoshield from them, but they are a lot cheaper than BOC.
I wonder why that is? The company I mentioned don't seem to have an issue with it. Last bottle I got was only filled to about 150bar though, will keep an eye on that next time I get a bottle!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't bother with gas! Too much hassle setting up the regulator & getting hold of decent gas at a decent price. I've used a no gas MIG(MAGS if you want to use the proper term!) welder with no problems for the last 12 years....
I get small reels of flux cored gasless welding wire from Machine Mart(which is where I got my welder from too!), which costs around a tenner.
No gas welders are perfect for welding cars & light steelwork, I've had no problems welding steel thicker than the 4 or 5mm maximum, it gives a good strong weld. Is also ideal if you are restoring/welding your car outdoors, as there is no gas shield to be blown away by the wind.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts