Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to weld a plate on my Bay Bus.
Whenever i've welded the Bug i've always removed the fuel tank,
but on the Bus it means removing the engine, which i don't want to do.
Do you guys remove the tank when you weld?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I had some welding done on my bay.The guy disconnected the battery and put like a hessian sheet over the engine to stop anything igniting.tank was left in situ.Jase

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've never removed a tank to weld, even when I'm welding right next to it.
Welding heat is very localised so aslong as you take your time and don't build up to much heat you will be ok...also use wet rags (not damp rags) to shield sensitive parts.

Make sure you havent got any leaking fuel hoses or breathers that can give of vapour, as this can be dangerous

·
Registered
511 Posts
As said above, i've only removed tanks on cars if I've welded near them, otherwise just disconnect the battery. Frosts also have stuff called 'cold front' to help prevent heat distorting around areas your welding - probably has the same effect as wet rags.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Same as above really.. done tons of welding, some close to tank but never removed it.

HOWEVER, a very cautious word buddy.

Petrol has a flash point of MINUS 40-50 degrees (could even be -70 actually not sure). Needless to say, its not so much the heat build up you should worry about as much as just one solitary spark to ignite the vapours that may be emitting from your tank, a perished seal etc. Not trying to scare you dude, just be ever mindful of what ya doing. Cover up as much as you can, both tank and yaself. If your in doubt, ask around, maybe a welding shop etc

Hope this helps. :hangloose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts