Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I had a crack at a Mini Jem once, and one of my dad's mates had a Marcos when I was a kid. They're surprisingly big inside, but the rear hatch doesn't open, they feel quicker than they are, and go round corners better than a Mini. Look easy to work on, too.

IMHO, you'd be better off building one from new parts, as it'll take you longer and cost you more to refurb the old ones, and you'll end up with a more reliable, better performing car than if you're confined to re-using old bits.

There's stacks of old Mini kit cars available which could benefit from a rebuild from a donor Mini. You can still pick these up if you're lucky, and they're the coolest of the cool

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is that - that looks great fun??!

It will be mostly new parts but essentialy it will be my old mini if you know what i mean. But yeah new subframes, brakes (want to run 10" rather than 12 or 13) etc etc.

As for stacks of mini kit cars - i've been struggling to find any, hence the Marcos idea. Most seem to have been killed off by SVA (scamp for one) though i haven't brought muself to peruse any Kit Car mags yet :D Any kits you know of?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
bigbadad said:
What is that - that looks great fun??!

Any kits you know of?

Cheers
It's a Stimson Mini Bug, the least dreadful of Barry Stimson's unusual mix of danger and ugliness.

As for kits, I meant old neglected kit cars which could do with a resto/refurb. There's some top stuff out there waiting to be swept up, keep yer eyes on eBay - it generally goes for fuckall or doesn't sell. There's a couple of mini-based beach buggies BTW, and doesn't the NCF Blitz use most of a Mni?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luddite said:
It's a Stimson Mini Bug, the least dreadful of Barry Stimson's unusual mix of danger and ugliness.

As for kits, I meant old neglected kit cars which could do with a resto/refurb. There's some top stuff out there waiting to be swept up, keep yer eyes on eBay - it generally goes for fuckall or doesn't sell. There's a couple of mini-based beach buggies BTW, and doesn't the NCF Blitz use most of a Mni?
Cheers, a Stimson eh? Are they particularly rare? I'll google it in a bit.... As for the Blitz, you are right the Blitz 2 is mini based. http://www.ncfblitz.co.uk/ Looks a wee bit too home built for me though. I'll keep an eye on ebay......i really really wanted a moke though :( :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
bigbadad said:
Anyone know anything about Mini Marcos'? In particular the new Mk IV kits. http://www.marcoscar.com/

With no luck finding a moke kit im thinking of building a Marcos out of the scrap remains of my old mini (and 1st car)
I know someone who's got a mini marco painted in the Gulf racing colours. Looks almost like a mini GT40.. It's been sitting on his drive for about six months and hasn't moved. I'm pretty sure it's for sale. I'll ask him tonight if you're interested.

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
The original MiniMarcos was considered as one of the better mini kit cars - and as said above handled better than the original Mini. You must muck around with the suspension units to get the spring rates correct for the lighter body. That is the difficult bit.
Put a 1293, 1340 engine on split webbers etc and it will fly. Need a different dif ratio though.
Check the stiffening if buying second hand - they had a rep for failing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts