Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been to see a MK3 Golf, (£795, 1993) all seems lovely & tickety boo. Full Service History only 73k on the clock, HOWEVER....... Cambelt is due for a change on next service ( next week !!) and i guess its the power steering pump? makes evil screeching noises on full lock? whats the cost gonna be for a cambelt change and a new power steering pump?

Cheers :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
Cambelt change at VW will be about £275.
It's probably not the power steering pump, (as it would screech all the time), but the belt slips when it's on full lock. Try tightening the belt, (it's a pig of a job), better still get a new belt.

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,995 Posts
check the tail gate round the window - they are prone to rot on early mk 3s
:)

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
i got my mk3(93/94) on 82k last year, the cambelt is supposed to be changed at 60k! mine was changed at 55k and then i did it last sept on about 85k for piece of mine, the drive belts always seem a bit noisy but do check the fluid levels.

currently the problems i have had with my golf, corrosion was found at the front of the sill, where the jacking point is there is a drain hole through much jacking there by gargages it seemed to have blocked it causing some rust. On the bottom of the front doors i appear to have got little rust bubbles in just one place, same both sides, also i got a random rust bubble on the sill, just below the door line, apparently the tail gates are prone to rust around the wiper, mines had a new tailgate due to an accident when it was only 4 years old so its alright.

check around where the rear axle mounts underneath, 2 things here i have to sort on mine, surface rust around the 2 mounts themself(on mine although it could be better/worse depending on the car) and also the axle bushes, mine were a little cracked lastyear and it was noted on the MOT, im doing them shortly.

check front shocks for leakage.

check for the usual leaks in the engine bay around the rocker cover/head.

if its got a sunroof check it works properly, mine the mechs broken on it and you can only get the bits from VW(i have been told)

thats all the really bad stuff you need to look for which will cost you a small fortune to fix, if its all ok then good price :hangloose

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice one guys, just this bliddy cambelt thats worrying me, it looks brand spanking new ( if i'm right, the one on the left of the engine) and was under the understanding it was due to be changed at 60k, but the VW service record states it is due for change at 81,000 miles or 16/11/06???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts