Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1797 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I have the oval volksrod to do too, but the plans for that have got out of hand (expensive ideas!) So I've decided to build something closer to my original brief 'to build a Volksrod for as close to a grand as possible' :)

I bought this '72 1200 for £320 + £50 for delivery (less than the oval shell :eek: )...

...it has a cracking little 1200 engine that's in very good order, the gearbox is good too. The brakes all work as they should, and the electrics (for now) all work.

The body is poorly, but as I rod it most of the crap will go, especially as it's going to be a pick up ;)

So the plan in brief is to move the body back by 9" (no frame extender), 4.5" chop, and 4.5" channel. I had planned to just blank the back of the cab off with what effectively would be a flat sheet with a window, but having looked at a few pick ups have decided to go the extra mile and create a rear roof gutter and compound curved roof and a wide'n'low rear window. Long bonnet, wooden load bed, wood crate engine cover, evil sunvisor, banded GT's steels, General Grabbers, matt black and red......let's see how all that goes :lol:

This one is Moler Inc, I've had this logo for a while...

...and it'll adorn the doors when finished :)

This is an outside project, as the split has the garage, so fine days only on this :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Started on the strip out, and it truly is a basket case, just like I wanted!

Body welded to the pan...

...scored a long bonnet for this, and a '54 bonnet for the oval for only £150 :D ...

...marked for the first cut, hopefully leaving plenty of meat to play with...

...I'm off for a few days next week, if the weather's fine I'll hopefully get this sucker cut up :)

The running total is £470
This is after selling parts from the Beetle, and selling a few odd bits that have been lying around for while.
And buying, 2nd hand heater channels, 235/60x15 General Grabbers for the back, and wheels inc having the rears banded.
I have pan halves and A post bottoms to buy, but the biggest future cost will be having the wheels powder coated.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
subscribed. I love rods and i love pick ups, and one day hope to do a pickup. Good look with it, pic heavy please:)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try, I've been relying on my phone for pictures, so I'll have to find my old garage camera...my last full resto thread on here had over 1200 pics ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Good Luck with the build. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Moving the body back will be interesting. Why are you not going with an extender? I can lend a hand for info if needed. I've built a Volksrod myself. It's ready for paint at the min. 4" roof chop and 4" body chop with a 10" extension. :)

·
I really must get out more
6,159 Posts
Interesting.......

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good Luck with the build. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Moving the body back will be interesting. Why are you not going with an extender? I can lend a hand for info if needed. I've built a Volksrod myself. It's ready for paint at the min. 4" roof chop and 4" body chop with a 10" extension. :)
I like the idea of not altering the geometry of the steering, having said that, it will have dropped spindles, and an engine and transmission raise...and it's cheaper to do it this way ;)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I had a few hours today, so started by cutting out the body to get at the loom, no point sacrificing the loom for a body that gonna be cut up...

...then I started on cutting the back off...

...I had to get creative on the inside as everything was welded to each other with patches...

...and off it came...

...I really should finish tidying it out!...

...bit grotty under here, but most of it has to come off for the plans I have, so will get a good clean...

...quick tidy, and then continued with the strip out. I was on my own so cracked out the 10 ton body ram to help with the windscreen, only really interested in saving the seal as it's ok...

...I had been wondering what to do with the back off the pans once the body has been moved back, be looking at this they'll need to be standard, bonus...

...with the last few minutes I decided to cut the front valance off for no offer reason then to see the volksrod beneath.

Garden art???

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's about time VZi upped the image limit on posts, 20 would be more useful ;)

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
567 Posts
^^^ there's no such thing as a dirt cheap Volksrod!!

at least not a decent one anyways, waaaay too many bugs with the wings taken off claiming to be Volksrods!

looking forward to this though, has potential to be interesting.

J

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
It's about time VZi upped the image limit on posts, 20 would be more useful ;)
Start a photobucket account, upload to it and copy/paste IMG link into your reply box - it's in the sticky threads for newbies as well.

Keep going, this is interesting :)

1 - 20 of 1797 Posts