Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
166,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers . . . wider motorways, but narrower viewpoints . . . we spend more, but have less . . . we buy more, but enjoy it less.

We have bigger houses and smaller families . . . more conveniences, but less time . . . we have more qualifications and degrees, but less common sense . . . more knowledge, but less judgement . . . more experts, but more problems . . . more medicines/treatments, but less wellness.

We drink too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry . . . too quickly . . . stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little and watch too much TV.

We talk too much, listen not enough . . . love too seldom, and hate too often :(.

We've learned how to make a living, but not a life . . . We've added years to life . . . not life to years.

We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbour. We've conquered outer space, but sadly not inner space . . . We've done larger things, but maybe not better things.

We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul . . . we've split the atom, but not our prejudices. We write more, but learn less . . . we plan much more, but accomplish much less.

We've learned to rush, but not to wait . . . we have higher incomes, but, lower morals.

We build more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever . . . but probably have less communication.

We've become big on quantity, but short on quality.

These are the days of two incomes, yet more divorces . . . of nicer houses, but broken homes.

These are the days of quick trips, disposable stuff, throw away principles, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer us up, quieten us down, or even kill.

Where are we heading ....? :confused:

I can only escalate . . . surely?

Blimey! :eek:

One doesn't 'alf contemplate some heavy shit (that's a technical term;)) when one is up a ladder by oneself ;)

Hope you're all well :)

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
One doesn't 'alf contemplate some heavy shit (that's a technical term;)) when one is up a ladder by oneself ;)

Hope you're all well :)
maybe ya outta come down a little more often ;) :)

·
Registered
21,158 Posts
Yove got too much time on your hands dude, wanna come and fix my bug?

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
Nice juxtapositions - but I do not agree with it all.

But it was drives us humans to improve our world. If you were to go and ask some of the local French living the life of 'France profond' I bet they will tell you they want their children to engage in most of your activities.

This summer I met a 'ganadero' high up a mountain. Ganadero is a northern Spanish term for a cross between a shepherd and a cattle man. He was walking over a big mountain checking his cattle by shouting quitely every so often so they would arrive from all over the mountainside and get the salt he carried.
I quickly relaised how honoured I was to walk with this guy - he is probabaly the last in a 2,000 year heritage of doing this. High mountain pastures were there before the Romans!
He was the last - because he did not want his children to do what he did. Not the days in the hills in the snow, looking for wolves, trying to get a good price - he wante dhis children in the city making four times much as him.
Talk to him about the simple life, he did not want to know.

So all the frustrations of our 'modern' life are a by-product of what we have - iPods, Internet, medicine, travel, equality and so on.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Intresting but im with metric on this one..

I don't think things are all that bad, Lifes what you make it and the person that wrote that isn't making much off it.

Think how shit things have been for all the people in the human race's past, both recent and distant! I for one would take life now as opposed to the first/second world war as i would almost certainly be dead. If learning to slow down a bit and enjoy lifes my only problem i dont have too meny problems!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
Fair enough dude . . . I wasn't suggesting we go back to 'Feudal' times ;)

Just doing that 'pondering' thing :)

I can remember as a kid . . . a time when every household DIDN'T have a telephone or Colour TV . . . it didn't hurt us . . . or hold us back in any way . . .

I did over a million miles touring with a band . . . over 2,000 shows in all . . . and not a mobile 'phone in sight . . .

I admit there's a fair bit of 'rose-tinted-ness' going on in mt head right now . . .

But I DO think what we have gained in 'technology' we may have lost in 'values' is all ;)

I wasn't suggesting a new 'religion' or anything :incheek:

Right . . . back up that fekkin' ladder :rolleyes:

Bri
My ladder analagey (cant spell it sorry)

The monkey at the top of the ladder looks down and see's lots of smiling faces lookin up at him

The monkey at the bottom of the ladder looks up and see's lots of arseholes

;) :D

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
Irony? Right? ;)

:D
Teasing. Ignore me :)

Edit:-

You have got way too much time on your hands, go and do something more productive ;)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Brian Burrows said:
I did over a million miles touring with a band . . . over 2,000 shows in all . . . and not a mobile 'phone in sight . . .
this is one of my gripes...used to be a time when you could travel as an escape to explore the world and see new sights....now everywhere you go people are 'contactable'. Was in India recently and even the poorest familiest with poor living conditions all had mobile phones. :eek:

relaxation is a lost art form. :hangloose

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Welcome to the world of thinking too much ;)

It's always a pleasure to meet and talk to people who "get" the poverty which we have created and are enrichening their lives by simple means.

·
Registered
31,322 Posts
I don't think it was bad or better 'back in the day', but more acurately, everything at any given point in time is relative to the way the peoples and respective environments evolve. The way we absorb information is a lot different to yesteryear in the way that we surround ourselves with that which we create or accept.. Example: Online banking; in business, it would almost be financial suicide to compete offline with an online competitor, therefore a retro approach to commerce would not be the rose coloured spectacles we'd like it to be... And for mobile phones.. ban the fuckers! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts