Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2110 motor runs great in my bus, but when i put my foot down under 40 mph in 4th gear (think it's under about 2,500RPM - no rev counter :rolleyes: ) on an incline it bogs down but if i ease off a bit it accelerates easier. Is this to do with tuning or it being 42x37 heads in a bus? It's been on the rolling road and it runs really strong (read: it rockets).

The reason i went with the larger valves is i'm gonna turbo it later on. I'm not fussed if it's to do with the valves as all i have to do is drop down a gear and it fly's - plus when the turbo comes this will provide all the torque i could ever need....just a query really???

Oh yeah...it is running a tad rich on mains meant to be 145's and i've got 148's - could this be anything to do with it?

Spec:

Spec of motor:

82mm crank
90.5 B&P's
120 cam
42x37 heads with light P'n'P
1 5/8" stainless header with 2 1/2" turbo muffler
DRLA 40's with 30 vents
type 4 cooler with remote cb 72 plate cooler and fan

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Smaller chokes in the carbs would help alleviate this problem, but it has a secondary effect of reducing top end performance due to the restrictive air flow. Comes down to a compromise of bottom end torque or top end power. When you ease of a bit the butterfly closes and therefore the pressure differential through the venturi increases and airflow velocity increases as a result.. As an engine is just a big air pump it getting the most efficient airflow and fuel mixture is the important part 15:1 . If you had a manifold pressure gauge on the engine you would see the pressure drop right off when the throttle was opened fully and hence the drop in performance. Fit your turbo and you get a constant PSI in the manifold and problem is solved. Hope this explains a little..

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
That cam is probably a bit flat at those revs but a bit lairier up the rev range.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,559 Posts
If those carbs are ex-alfa ones, they should have a vac takeoff port.

If you've got a late type vac dissy kicking around, give it a try. I did on my 1776 and the 009 is still on the shelf years later.

To time it, pull the vac pipe and time it like a 009, to 30 or 32 deg BTDC at 3000 rpm, or whenever the mech advance is all in. Then reconnect the vac line.

I was very impressed with the lack of flat spots.

Dave.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Nail on the head - so to speak...

Also - below 40mph in 4th gear in a bus is very slow and "lugging" the engine - i.e. not doing it many favours, especially if you are on an incline. As torquey as a 2110 may be, just shift down a cog perhaps? :)

You should also get better mpg with a vac advance dissy when cruising :)
If you can, find and fit an aircooled T25 dissy + coil + coil amp. These models have proper electronic ignition (no points to adjust either) and a fatter spark - I fitted one to my Bus on a stock 1600 and mpg went from 25 to 30... ;)

I now have an ex-914 1700 lump with twin DRLAs and a T25 ignition set-up and it rocks - great starting too!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Pretty much - you can fit an APV, I haven't - so don't know if it makes any difference.
I set the timing to 7.5 BTDC hose off at idle. however, it has been suggested to me that it can be set as far as 12 at idle and then check for ping, but I haven't tried this yet - thinking being that this will allow more advance at cruise and hence better mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts