Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking it's time for a new skid lid. My current one is around 6 years old and I took a chunk out of it recently when I dropped it :(

Anyone know what's hot and what's not this days? I want a full-face but would consider a flip-front as I'm a speccy twat :D

I want something that's quiet and preferably available in plain white.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Go and try them on in the shop as different makes suit different folk, and then shop on line as you will save a fortune, or visit a race round bsbk or wsbk as the stalls have some good deals on new hats but older stock

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
I have two, a Duchini D619 flip front and a Caberg flip front. Good lids but the Duchini is noisy and has the screws holding the flip front constantly coming loose. Mind you it is 4 years old and well used. The Caberg is better noise wise and more comfortable. Next will be a Caberg.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Arai. I wouldn't trust my head in anything else. They do tent to be a bit noisy but I wear earplugs and my hearing is already fucked anyway. I've always found they fit me better than any other helmet.
DONT be tempted to get one on line. Saws a program the other day where they were buying bike kit on line and a lot of it is fake inc crash helmets. They put a few through the drop test and one of them snapped in half :eek: I'd rather pay the extra 50 quid and know that I'm getting what it's supposed to be as it's the only thing between my head and the deck if I bin it.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Go and try them on in the shop as different makes suit different folk, and then shop on line as you will save a fortune, or visit a race round bsbk or wsbk as the stalls have some good deals on new hats but older stock
This is the plan anyway, in the past I always seemed to have a Shoei shaped head, but my current lid is a Arai. I'll probably head into Leeds this afternoon to try some on.

I have two, a Duchini D619 flip front and a Caberg flip front. Good lids but the Duchini is noisy and has the screws holding the flip front constantly coming loose. Mind you it is 4 years old and well used. The Caberg is better noise wise and more comfortable. Next will be a Caberg.
I've never had a Caberg, I have to be honest though, they get very good safety reviews and are unbelievable value. The Caberg Duke seems to fit the bill assuming it'll fit my large head. Seems almost to good to be true at less than £150 though?

Arai. I wouldn't trust my head in anything else. They do tent to be a bit noisy but I wear earplugs and my hearing is already fucked anyway. I've always found they fit me better than any other helmet.
DONT be tempted to get one on line. Saws a program the other day where they were buying bike kit on line and a lot of it is fake inc crash helmets. They put a few through the drop test and one of them snapped in half :eek: I'd rather pay the extra 50 quid and know that I'm getting what it's supposed to be as it's the only thing between my head and the deck if I bin it.
Currently wear an Arai, and yes I have to use ear plugs as well.

Brilliant! The most useful website of the weekend award goes to Hermand!

Cheers for your input guys, it's appreciated.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,738 Posts
I've just bought an MT Raptor online through sportsbikeshop.co.uk

List £119.99 (on offer at £74.99 in limited sizes). Very pleased with it, comfortable, quiet and better constructed/finished than the considerably more expensive Nolan one I've just binned.

That particular supplier does free delivery/returns/exchanges too, which was handy as the size I picked initially was too big.

·
Saddest VZi'er 2021
9,417 Posts
I've never had a Caberg, I have to be honest though, they get very good safety reviews and are unbelievable value. The Caberg Duke seems to fit the bill assuming it'll fit my large head. Seems almost to good to be true at less than £150 though?
I have a Caberg Konda, the previous model to the Duke, and it's been great. The only thing with Cabergs is you need to look after the visors as they're just shy of £40 each.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Earplugs? Wusses.
Unfortunately its not using earplugs for the first 20 years that has fucked my hearing. That and loud music at raves. If someone had told me all those years ago about wind noise etc all those years ago I wouldn't be in the mess I am now with my hearing. Sometimes the buzzing and whistling is so bad I can't get to sleep without music to drown it out and I often have to have subtitles on to watch tv :(

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Earplugs? Wusses.
Yer what?! (cups hand next to ear)

Unfortunately its not using earplugs for the first 20 years that has fucked my hearing. That and loud music at raves. If someone had told me all those years ago about wind noise etc all those years ago I wouldn't be in the mess I am now with my hearing. Sometimes the buzzing and whistling is so bad I can't get to sleep without music to drown it out and I often have to have subtitles on to watch tv :(
Yep, same here. 20 years of motorbikes and live music has knackered mine as well :(

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
18,073 Posts
I saw a guy yesterday with one that looked like a skull .
You should get one of them .
They're awesome .

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw a guy yesterday with one that looked like a skull .
You should get one of them .
They're awesome .
Yes, yes I should!

What's with the Reg Holdsworth avatar?

:D

·
Registered
34,511 Posts
Arai.

I like my Roof boxer as well, and my simpson. But Arai is probably the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts