Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The girlfriends family have been planning to move to Melbourne for a few years now and in 2 years they are off! I have the option to go too and im quite up for the idea but now the gf is saying that she only wants to go out for 2 years and see what its like and more than likely come home after that. Problem is that im 26 in March and i really need to start sorting out life so i am saving pretty hard over the next 2 years to finally move out (i know, still at home :rolleyes:). I need to decide what's goin to happen, i need to either choose to make a future in Aus or stay here in the uk. I cant afford to go to Aus for 2 years and then come home cos by then i'll be 30, have no where to live, no job and no money!

ohhh any advice peeps?

im a bit confused :(

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Do it! I'm in Melbourne right now as it happens! It's a great city!

1. I read the other day that (and don't quote me on this) you can apply for a working visa for 12 months as a visitor, but, you have to register for a tax/NI sort of number and you cannot stay with the same employer for more than 3 months (seems weird). Don't think you can work longer than that as a visitor, but not sure. Check with the ETTA (Electronic Tourism Authority) thingy on visitor/working visas.

2. If you have family out here it does make it much easier to enter the country

3. The points thing is harsh but fair and you have to pay a STG5000 bond but, once you're in, you're in

4. I have dozens of folks out here, most of whom emigrated in the 60's, some 2 years ago and some more ready to leave the UK imminently as they've been accepted into Oz

I'm home on Friday though and would definitely come back here, not thinking of emigrating *just yet*.... :lol:

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
17,465 Posts
GOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZGOTOOZETC.

if it were me, i'd go. it's too good an opportunity to miss.

what do you do? what type of job will you get when you're there?
if you still live at home it should be easy to save some money and as long as you work when you're there, you shouldn't be skint when you come back.

think how you might feel if you don't go. you'll always be wondering "what if........?"

:hangloose

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Only 4% unemployment over here, well, according to the man on the news the other day anyway...not sure exactly how true that is! But everyone I talk to says yes there IS plenty of work available.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, that's the other thing. i dont have any real qualifications and i hear that its a nightmare to get any work unless your qualified?

The g/f's family are already in on the points scheme, her dad's an electrician and they have family too. I only have family out there but nothing really to offer im afraid. Im just a bit worried what i'll do when its all over and im right back where i started?

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
Two of my family have just been turned down as only one of them had the right qualifications, yes. Sounds odd I know but they're slightly eccentric middle-aged twins who won't leave each other...so if one can't go, the other one won't either!

You'll get bar work, let's face it, all the Aussie bar men work in England anyway! :lol:

In fact nearly all the ones I've spoken with while out here have all worked in England at some stage and came back!

·
Registered
8,618 Posts
If you do the 12 month working visa you can get it extended to 2 years by doing 3 months fruit picking work - it's hard back breaking labour but there's plenty of work doing it (apparently the Ozzies can't be arsed to do it) hence the offer of visa extension. That way you could get to try Oz out for the 2 years, decide whether you want to stay there or not and have plenty of time to figure out a way to do it if you did want to.
As for being 30 and not having a job, etc - don't be daft! You haven't missed the boat at 30 by a long shot and a couple of years living and working abroad would make you a more rounded individual.

·
Registered
11,191 Posts
I went for a years back packing in 1996, it was great. I was in Melbourne for 5 months & loved it. I think it was one of the best places to be. The people were great there. I had a lot of fun!

I would just roll with it, if you live at home still, you have nothing to lose. You will find work out there easy enough.

You would get a job here if you were silly enough to come back.

Watch out for spiders & snakes too!

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Personally, I would go. You have the opportunity, dont have to worry about selling a house and you are still young. If you do the 2 years and come back you haven't lost anything. You might well find that you g/f loves it out there and doesnt want to come back (highly likely from what my friends and family who have gone out there have told me).

And lets not beat around the bush. Now is not the time to be buying a house. Theres a lot of uncertainty in the housing market at the moment and no-ones knows which way its going to go. We are hoping to move to Spain in a couple of years and having mortgage etc is going to be another ballache to sort out.

Do it while you have the chance. You'll never know otherwise :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.