Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to trade up to a faster vw but i do a lot of miles at the moment and dont want to have to spend a fortune on fuel!
running round in a 1.3 at the moment which manages 50mpg but increased motorway work means it may have to go.

just wondering what the mpg of a 1.8 16v is? OR 8 v if theres a difference?

Anyone running a golf gti or corrado out there that could enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
personally i wouldnt get a 1.8 16v as they have a funny torque curve so all the power is at silly high rpm.

I would either get a 2.0 16v but youre looking at around 30-35 mpg out of one of those, or a 1.8 8v, but get the 112bhp GTi engine with code PB. Dont bother with the RP one its only 90bhp.

The PB engine actually has more torque lower down so produces more BHP in the rev range its actually going to be used in than the 1.8 16v, so unless you want to rev the pants off a 15+ year old engine the PB would be a better bet.

I get around 35mpg with a lot of town driving, on the motorway its easy to do 45mpg, and had over 50 out of it if you sit at 65mph lol

although bear in mind mines in a mk3 passat which may have longer gear ratios than a mk2 golf gti.

Good motorway engine too, mine will easily pull over 100mph ;) not that ive tried lol

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for that! i understand what your saying about the 8v, is the engine code stamped on the block behind the manifold?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
weve got an 89 golf gti with the PB engine, get 30ish mpg in stop/start town traffic, got it up to 43 mpg fully loaded and towing a trailer going down to cornwall.

The PB is the digifant engine, recognisable cos it looks a lot tidier under the bonnet

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
why not get a TDI? or even a GTD if you fancy a mk2?

you'll get the economy and even the GTD has bags more power than your 1.3

:)

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
'Lufbramatt' makes a good point, the 1.8 16v's 'breathe' very easily, so you have to get used to the feeling you are caning it, but you aren't really, they love it! Keep the revs high and they are a nice drive. MFA normally reads around the 32 to 35MPG mark on my Corrado.

·
Registered
549 Posts
On the motorway you should get 38-40mpg for a MKIII 8v, about the same as a MKII 8v. MKIII tdi will do at least 55mpg at between 70-80mph :)

PS I think the old K-Jet got better mileage on the motorway but less than digipants locally...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Lufbramatt said:
I would either get a 2.0 16v but youre looking at around 30-35 mpg out of one of those, or a 1.8 8v, but get the 112bhp GTi engine with code PB. Dont bother with the RP one its only 90bhp.

The PB engine actually has more torque lower down so produces more BHP in the rev range its actually going to be used in than the 1.8 16v, so unless you want to rev the pants off a 15+ year old engine the PB would be a better bet.
Did the 8v engines change in a particular year?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts