Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 516 Posts

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 2...
After a glitch with the matrix (probably too many posts) made the last 12 days posts disappear on my 1970 1300 i've started the second part. The first part was mostly the rebuild and repaint over the past 15 or so years.
Its still available here to view but its now locked to avoid any further posts.
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=307700

I decided i wanted a kamei style rear parcel shelf with an opening hatch (but made of more solid materials than the thin hardboard the kamei ones are) so bought a sheet of 1/2" ply and got to work shaping it to fit.
The hatch is slightly narrower than the one on a kamei shelf as the sides weren't wide enough for my speakers to sit on.
I glued some padding on and stapled some of the leftover perforated vinyl from the headliner i made on top.
Bought some cheap chrome screw button cap things off ebay to break up the plain vinyl and to give it a button draylon sofa look of the 70s. I also used an old glovebox knob so it can easily be opened.

Still waiting for my ebay speakers to arrive from Hong Kong from the look of it (even though the ad said from the UK :rolleyes:) so i can't fit it yet. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As i have a load of leftover ply i thought i'd make an under dash shelf too.
Cardboard template followed by transfering it to the ply and then cutting to size and notching for the steering column and the bit of the dash that is under the air box drain.
I need to add an edge to it to stop things falling off and i think i'm gonna cover it in grained effect black vinyl off ebay.

I've been forced to paint the bathroom today to keep SWMBO appeased, but still had a quick look in the garage to say hello to the old girl and see if she was still in there. Yep, still there. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
How weird, I still have the email notifications with the content of the new posts. but the links just take me to the 26-1-20 post.

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How weird, I still have the email notifications with the content of the new posts. but the links just take me to the 26-1-20 post.
Yeah, its a bit strange. It all shows up on my phone but now only if i'm not logged in. :confused:
It was getting a bit long (over 3106 posts and maybe a thousand piccies). :eek:

·
Highly Respected Member
2,556 Posts
Part 2...
After a glitch with the matrix (probably too many posts) made the last 12 days posts disappear on my 1970 1300 i've started the second part. The first part was mostly the rebuild and repaint over the past 15 or so years.
Its still available here to view but its now locked to avoid any further posts.
https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=307700

I decided i wanted a kamei style rear parcel shelf with an opening hatch (but made of more solid materials than the thin hardboard the kamei ones are) so bought a sheet of 1/2" ply and got to work shaping it to fit.
The hatch is slightly narrower than the one on a kamei shelf as the sides weren't wide enough for my speakers to sit on.
I glued some padding on and stapled some of the leftover perforated vinyl from the headliner i made on top.
Bought some cheap chrome screw button cap things off ebay to break up the plain vinyl and to give it a button draylon sofa look of the 70s. I also used an old glovebox knob so it can easily be opened.

Still waiting for my ebay speakers to arrive from Hong Kong from the look of it (even though the ad said from the UK :rolleyes:) so i can't fit it yet. :(
Parcel shelf looks great, and I like the mystical cloth as well!

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parcel shelf looks great, and I like the mystical cloth as well!
Thats my duvet cover. :lol:

Speakers aren't coming so getting a refund and will look for some more. Problem is they need to be quite shallow to fit the speaker pod things and most 2 way speakers are too deep so i'll probably end up with some 4" 60W coaxial ones.

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As its been too windy and wet to venture outside i decided to do a bit more on the front parcel shelf.
Decided to divide it into 3 sections so anything put directly in front of the driver can't make a break for it going round a corner and end up out of reach at the passengers side.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought some more retro tat. A BP touring service road map printed in 1969 off ebay for 49p plus some postage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Maps are a nice touch. I've an old Lucas service chart I bought for mine at an autojumble before, phocopied and stuck on garage wall :)

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maps are a nice touch. I've an old Lucas service chart I bought for mine at an autojumble before, phocopied and stuck on garage wall :)
Nice. Anything stuck on my garage wall would dissolve.
I picked up a huge 6ft Michelin metal wall map when i was a kid when they were demolishing a petrol station near my parents. It ended up getting binned when i was at Uni and my parents were cleaning out their garage. Missed out on another one a few days back as i saw the wall it was on getting knocked down with it still attached. :(

I've always got my eye out for 1970s stuff. My missus doesn't understand as she's all for modern technology. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Nice. Anything stuck on my garage wall would dissolve.
I picked up a huge 6ft Michelin metal wall map when i was a kid when they were demolishing a petrol station near my parents. It ended up getting binned when i was at Uni and my parents were cleaning out their garage. Missed out on another one a few days back as i saw the wall it was on getting knocked down with it still attached. :(

I've always got my eye out for 1970s stuff. My missus doesn't understand as she's all for modern technology. :rolleyes:
I laminated the sheets first lol.
I refuse to use satnav and have a road atlas in each car, at least 10years out of date but do the job lol. Managed to get me from Stanraer to Blackpool and then Whitby a few years ago and then from Holyhead to Devon last year :lol:

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I laminated the sheets first lol.
I refuse to use satnav and have a road atlas in each car, at least 10years out of date but do the job lol. Managed to get me from Stanraer to Blackpool and then Whitby a few years ago and then from Holyhead to Devon last year :lol:
The map in my car is 2007 so just slightly out of date. Most main roads haven't changed for decades really. That 1969 BP map has the M6 as a proposed road coming soon. :lol:
Missus' motability car has satnav which has never been used yet.

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speakers finally arrived so screwed them into the pods and mounted them on the parcel shelf.
Added a couple of aluminium brackets bolted to the back seat buffers to prevent it decapitating anyone in the event of an accident. It also allows the parcel shelf to stay in place when the back seat is folded flat. :)
Tried it out and the speakers start to distort at about the 50% volume mark on the headunit which is well above the bleeding ears threshold so it's OK. Haven't had a play around with the different equiliser settings yet. Just glad its got some tunes for the first time in around 20 years. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Great job on the parcel shelf. I have a couple of the Kamei ones, from your pics, there's not a lot in it, nice one.
My dad gave me his 1303, he purchased new in 73, in the glove box an AA 1973 road map. I love stuff like that, you're getting some nice period touches, :cool:

1 - 20 of 516 Posts