Volkszone Forum banner

461 - 480 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
There is a sort of chrome finish powdercoat you can get done, obviously not exactly like chrome but better than rust.

Had found that after polishing with autosol so get the rust off and shiny to give a couple of coats of wax (not polish).
When I dailyed the bug and it lived outside I used to spray some WD40 over it after washed it. Kept the bumper decent for years.

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #463 ·
When i used to run it as my daily the bumpers were always covered in vaseline over the winter then cleaned off in the spring. Managed to get 3 years out of the cheap (£17 at the time) bumpers before the steel rotted from the backside.

The front one on this has a good few layers of carnuba wax on it. There were some specs of rust when i was first given it but i'd hoped to keep on top of it.
The back one is a brazilian one thats at least 20 years old and is still mint. Not sure how.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I got a £30 one in 1997 and painted the rear, did the wd40 thing and it was on until 2013, got a new one at good £ and gave old one to a mate who machine polished it and put onhis bug, it's still on it afaik! I'd left bug in garage for a few years neglected and it started to rust a bit :rolleyes: not buying another unless it's really cheap :lol: have a stainless rear one.

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Does anyone make stainless europa bumpers? I know you can get stainless blade bumpers but they're around the £200 mark.
Stainless bumpers for a mini are only £50 each. Scene tax at its best. :eek:

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Does anyone make stainless europa bumpers? I know you can get stainless blade bumpers but they're around the £200 mark.
Stainless bumpers for a mini are only £50 each. Scene tax at its best. :eek:
You could make a mini bumper from the foil of a kitkat though :lol:

Stainless blades were around £100 not that long ago, can't remember how much mine was, but that was in 2008, great quality. Prices have soared!
Mate has lacquered them before, lasts well, just stone chips to worry about

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
:eek: whaaaaaaaaaaaat??:eek:

I remember a guy over here made his own years ago, was a great job, hadn't the swage line in the middle though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Haven't touched my beetle in 8 weeks too cold!!
Besides I've devolved into a teenager! playing online video games with other adults that should know better
At least my bmw is still functioning

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
Haven't touched my beetle in 8 weeks too cold!!
Besides I've devolved into a teenager! playing online video games with other adults that should know better
At least my bmw is still functioning
Its only reached 5c here since xmas and the roads are either frosty or covered in shite so its stayed tucked away in the garage.

I must admit i've played a lot of Forza7 over the past 12 months but as i don't have the gold membership i'm not playing online. :(

·
Registered
12,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 ·
All the local shows this year are now cancelled due to the uncertainty of whether they'll be allowed to be run so not sure how much use i'll get out of my bug this year.
It did 107 miles last year so i'm hoping i can beat that.
Its been 10 weeks now since it passed its MOT and it's not even been started. :(

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Just take it out on wee run yourself, cruise to the coast etc and enjoy it :cool: that's all I've been doing with mine for past few years :cool:
UGP circuit isn't far from me, normally get it a run around there.
Haven't been near mine since September! Could do with more space so that I don't have to move cars to get it out.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Takes me a bit longer than 3.19 min though!!!
You'd almost need to watch in slow motion

461 - 480 of 519 Posts