Volkszone Forum banner
561 - 580 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Mine used to do it when it was cold. On the way to work 1st thing in the morning with the choke on, people would tailgate me around the one way system and I'd let off the gas and shoot 2 foot flames at them.
Thats one way to get rid of tailgaters. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It's a VW so comes with an oil slick as standard too :p

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
Beetle dug out of its dry garage and pressed into service in the rain while the caravelles gear linkage is broken.

Tow bar just touches the road on steep drives. Only took some paint off as its a solid bar. Electrics socket doesn't fare as well as the bottom is now worn a bit flat.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Managed to get the remains of the tyres off the old steel rims. 2 of the 4 have too badly rusted or damaged rims to be worth saving so i might chop the middles out and weld them into some barrels off a set of 7" wide weller 8 spokes at some point.

I think the drivers front seat backrest has a break in it as theres no support behind my right shoulder when driving. Looks like i'll have to strip the seat down and fix it before i drive it 180 miles to Tatton in August. Gonna be really uncomfortable otherwise.
Theres a few little rust spots on the passengers side rear arch i want to sort too.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That would be a cheap way to get banded steelies, I'd always thought of broader ones for mine, but keep the centres black and rims white as they should be.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
That would be a cheap way to get banded steelies, I'd always thought of broader ones for mine, but keep the centres black and rims white as they should be.
Mine missed out on the black and white rims by a few months. They do look better than all silver.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I'd bought a set of mangal steels and had them powdercoated black and got paint to do the rims. I couldn't get a standard VW hubcap on them though, remember a guy telling me that he got bus caps to fit as I had seen them with caps before. I lowered the front shortly after that and was worried about clearance issues and ended selling them. Always liked the look of slightly broader stock rims though

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Thats odd. Bay bus hubcaps are the same as beetle 4 stud ones. The ones off my bug are now on my caravelle as they had better chrome.
I might make a pair into 5.5" wide fronts (but with an offset that lets them sit inside the arches) and maybe 7" rears.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That sounds cool! Think these ones had a wider lip around the circumference

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
Looking at around the £300+ mark to move the bug down to Wales in a few weeks time.
I'm heading down to drop off the motorhome on Friday (a nice 6+ hours drive) and coming back the next day with my brother in law. Unfortunately theres no towbar on his van and nowhere to store the beetle until the 19th or i'd borrow a trailer up here and take the car myself and bring the trailer back up the next day.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
How many miles is it, usually looking at approx £2 per mile. Whereabouts in Wales? We went through there on holidays a few years ago from Holyhead down through to the south.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
That's quite a trek!! Be a great run for the bug :)
Wasn't a part of Wales we were in, most of the country seemed lovely though.
Could you hire/borrow a trailer and tow with the T25?

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
I've already got a trailer i'm taking down with me unfortunately, i can't hire a car trailer up here as it'd need returning and i don't have a grand or so spare to buy one then sell again once i've used it.
I know a few people who own trailers i could borrow but it'd be a 600+ mile round trip to return it.:(

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
A frames aren't legal anymore are they or you could have maybe knocked something up???
Sounds like transport maybe the best option unless you're using a removal company who are very accommodating and have a huge lorry with ramps lol

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Would be fun to just fit it in the removals van but i assume a tail lift is all its likely to have. Loads of space in a van though. :ROFLMAO:
o_Oso many questions!!!!! Mainly how and why :LOL:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I don't like Russian dolls, very arrogant, they're full of themselves :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Zebedee
561 - 580 of 591 Posts